Cookie-cutter mouthpieces for beginners?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Jude, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    What is a cookie cutter mouthpiece? Pics? Websites? Please and Thanks!

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The term "cookie cutter" has been applied to turn of the century and older (19th century) mouthpieces that have a thin, flat rim and a sharp edge where the inside of the cup meets the rim. They usually have very deep, conical cups, also. I don't know of a site that really discusses them, other than the occasional thread on this site and a few others. Here's a couple pics of mine - the rim's not extremely sharp, but the cup's really deep and conical.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2008
    MJ likes this.
  3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    As Dale pointed out, a mouthpiece that works great at home doesn't always work out too well when played with (against) other instruments. In general, players are discouraged from using multiple mouthpieces for the sake of building one consistent embouchure, although many use two radically different mouthpieces for Bb and piccolo or Bb and lead without suffering too much, however, they seem to be the same ones who practice a bunch, too.

My old cookie-cutter mouthpiece, despite the sharp rim, troubles me less (read "doesn't hurt as much") than a Bach 7c or 5c. If you have the pleasure and privilage of seeking what sounds best to you rather than having a forced level of technique, then follow your heart--why should kids have all the fun?

4. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    Is their any current/consistent maker of cookie cutter mouthpieces? (Sorry for all the questions =\

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The Schilke 18 I think would qualify as "cookie cutter". It is about the sharpest and flattest "standard" rim that I know of.

6. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    I'm dancing with two different mpc, one is a Bach 3c & the other is a Marcinkowitz (did I spell that right?) with a real shallow cup. I spend most my time now on the 3C in the Arban's book and it has made a huge difference on my playing. I used the cheater the other night after a three week retreat from it & had gained 3 whole notes on top end. While I don't test my high register much anymore, I was really amazed......still love the edginess that cheater pipe produces.....the Getzen doesn't like it, but since I'm the boss :cool:

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Most of the time, a 3C is my cheater.;-) The C cup on the 3C mouthpiece is one of the more shallow ones that Bach makes.

8. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    "Most of the time, a 3C is my cheater.".......geez, you'd probally be at home playing your lead pipe compared to my other mpc if a 3C is your cheater:stars: :lol: