cool thing i've been doin over the week

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Apr 16, 2010.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    so in my last lesson with my pvt lessons teacher, he made me quite using my chops, and to slot the notes with my tongue, by doing this when I actually used my chops in the upper register w/ my tongue I increased by 1 1/2 notes to a F# and each note has a fuller sound. Plus! My tone has darkened, and my pitch has become alot more stabilized. Another cool thing is that on all my notes I can bend anywhere from a 1/2 step to 2 notes down. Got my G to go to an E (according to my tuner 10 cents sharp of being in tune at 440 Hz) just kinda felt like sharein my joy of improvement like this in a week and a halfs time. Another good side affect is that my tongueing and slotting is much much quicker. btw only downside was the frustration in changing this. I can now squeak out A's below double C, but that doesn't really count I suppose. :D:D:play::D:D

2. trumpetjump

trumpetjump New Friend

Mar 5, 2010
    PA
    Just 5 days ago you posted that you were having range problems. Make up your mind! Too many young folks looking too go too high, too soon, too often. Work on your skills!!

3. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I'm glad you're happy, but there are no magic pills with playing the trumpet.

Talk to us in 6 months about your progress in the same areas.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Congratulations! If you keep your emphasis on tone and cleanliness, the range will happen of its own accord!

5. Al Innella

Al Innella Forte User

Aug 9, 2007
    Levittown , NY
    Keep up the good work,you're learning that to play in the upper register is technique and coordination ,not great physical strength , and it doesn't have to take years and years to learn.

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Success is measured in months and years. If what you are doing works, you need to stick with it and post again when school lets out. We could probably wipe out about 25% of all posts here at TM if we deleted all the posts with no follow through.

7. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    haha probably 50% of my posts, ill definately post again

8. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    makes me wish I had listened to my trumpet teachers seriously when I first took lessons. I really regret that now

9. opus

opus New Friend

Feb 10, 2010
    What does 'slotting the notes with your tongue' mean?

10. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    And by then, you will have learned how to spell "definitely"!