cool thing i've been doin over the week

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by a marching trumpet, Apr 16, 2010.

1. a marching trumpet

a marching trumpet Mezzo Piano User

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    dude im from Tennessee, cut some slack ROFL

2. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    I are frum Allabammer, bud I lernd my grammer in speling good win eye waz in hi skool. Any shortcut is a losing proposition whether it is trumpet practice or punctuation and spelling.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Yeah but yr punchuashion ain't two bad.

4. hup_d_dup

hup_d_dup Piano User

May 28, 2009
    Tewksbury, NJ, USA
    How can we know if any of this makes any sense? Just a couple of days ago you said you were bending G down to C# ... and when I questioned that you confirmed.

Are we just wasting time reading your posts?

5. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    Hi!

I don't quite understand what it is you are doing. Are you learning to "bend" notes? If so, that's good. Bending notes is a means of altering the pitch of a note from where the resonant system of the horn/mouthpiece/player wants to be.

This is accomplished by moving the tongue back and forth in the mouth, which effectively "tunes" the resonant frequency of the oral cavity, which then varies the resonance of the horn, adjusting pitch. This is actually how we select the particular harmonic (pitch) that we wish to play from out of the entire harmonic series.

Virtually all notes on a brass instrument are out of tune at some point, depending upon the piece you are playing, and how you "tuned" your horn at the start, and for that matter, how far the pitch of your horn has changed due to it warming up, or the pitch of those around you has changed. You need to be able to automatically "bend" any and all notes quickly and accurately to play in tune with others, including yourself.

I've heard people practicing bending notes as excercise, and all I can say is that it helps them with their playing by showing them how much they CAN bend each note. I suppose it also contributes to lip flexibility, too.

For me, playing in tune (or attempting to do so with those around me) is an automatic reflex thing, and is rarely under my conscious control. I sometimes bend notes for effect, either as called out for in the music, or occasionally for fun.:evil:

Note bending, in short, is simply another technique that you should have in your arsenal for when the music calls for it.

n'est pas?

Guy Clark

6. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    this thread is old, why did yall hop over to this one?

7. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    1)this thread is very old
    2) as for bending, I have been using the tongues' level along with air to achieve the proper note, so as far as pitch bending it down, kinda hard to explain other than I mega drop the tongue level, but keep the same air stream, its really hard to explain. As in, I'll keep the G's fingerings (All open) and use air and the tongue position of the notes to bring it down. As in I play an F using 1st valve, then G open, in my playing it's different tongue levels, sooo with the breath attacks I was having to do over and over again it helped me find the note with the tongue rather than with pressure and using the chops in the back. So I can take a G and go to a F because the F has a different tongue position than the G does, and my 150 dollar tuner will register it to, although its very out of tune when it does register it ROFL

8. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I took Latin, I have no clue what that means ROFL

and I agree doing pitch bends help out alot in the area of flexibility, although bending sharp its really really REALLY hard for me. I can maaaaaaybe bend a note 10 cents sharp on the tuner, at most if im lucky. However above the barline is still just as bad about that, and the only reason I have to think of bending sharp is because in high school you're stuck with people that don't know what brand their horn is! :bash: With that in mind, well it's sometimes best to match their pitch cause no matter how much you try to help or teach them it doesn't work. :soap:

9. a marching trumpet

Feb 11, 2009
    Murfreesboro, TN
    well i'm from Tennessee so I guess it should be ".....or "learn" them it doesnt work."

10. guyclark

guyclark Piano User

Feb 28, 2008
    Los Gatos, CA
    HI, MT!

I took Latin, too! (was originally a pre-med. I thought Latin would help)

"n'est pas?" is French, (which I took in fifth and sixth grade) meaning "is it not so?"

Guy