Copper or cheated?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by crowmadic, Aug 25, 2009.

1. trumpetman1989

trumpetman1989 New Friend

Oct 6, 2009
    Eugene, OR 97404
    Be glad you didn't post this on SRK haha

2. muchan

muchan New Friend

Jul 18, 2009
    OT, but I read that Stradivarius violin are made from wood of the era,
    when there was global 'cooling', arround 14c, that the tree grew slower.
    thus making the wood more denser for the same thickness.
    It is the reason that modern violins, even with more recent research,
    can't surpass the work of old maestro...
    (IIRC, I've read it in Scientific American)

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    From an Aussies perspect - that is 13,000 miles away - the Statue of Liberty is a girl (probably just like your Mum (Mom)) - no question about it.
    That is, assuming your Mum is a girl? ROFL

4. RUFocused

RUFocused Pianissimo User

Apr 26, 2009
    Cedar Rapids, IA
    Glory,
    I'm a wino, and yes..... pour 5 glasses of wine of the same song (wino for type ie merlot, Reisling.....) And I WILL tell you in order the Cheapest Cr*p to the Best of Fruit. HOWEVER, i must also say that outliers come with everything you do, it can be seen in horns as well. Price doesn't always matter, everyone can have a really,really good year when they usually suck, or have a really, really bad year when they usually produce beautiful Vino. The best of the best NEVER have this problem. the worst of the worst will usually stay that way.

=== Sorry alittle off topic.......

Cheers,
    jason

5. trumpetman1989

trumpetman1989 New Friend

Oct 6, 2009
    Eugene, OR 97404

I guess the real question to be asked is..... R U Focused? v:-ov

6. glorybe

glorybe Piano User

Jul 29, 2009
    Yes, but the cooler climate enabled the fungus to grow through the wooden blanks. Blanks from that era and location have been found and an effort is being made to use that same fungus to act on modern wood blanks.
    The effect being that the overall hardness of the materials is more uniform.
    I spent years as an industrial model maker and know a bit about machining and brass. I will bet money that most horns have brass bells that vary in thickness in an uncontrolled manner. Metal spinning of cone shaped objects tends to stretch the end portion of the cones more than the start of the cones. I will also bet money that the hardness of the brass usually varies all over the bell. These issues are common in metal working. For example a jeweler may pour a 14K gold ring but that ring may be higher purity on the bottom of the mold and less pure in the top portion. Hammer metal into a sheet and that issue usually won't completely resolve itself. The real question rests in what degree such issues effect tone quality and production.

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Just opinion here -I doubt think any bells are pure copper -more likely when they say copper they mean a very high percent of copper with another alloy to keep them from being so soft.

The liberty bell is 70% copper, 25% tin, 2% lead, 1% zinc, .25% arsenic and .20% silver with trace amounts of gold, magnesium, nickel and antimony.

Also, the 4x sound transmission of copper sounds a little skeptical. At least my neighbors hope it isn't true.

Steve

8. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Sorry.... Removing double post

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
  9. vntgbrslvr

vntgbrslvr Piano User

Oct 10, 2008
    Waukesha, Wisconsin
    Conn Coprion bells are pure copper. They have no stress/hardness from working because they were electroplated onto a stainless form (although there probably is some work hardening at the crook same as any bell).

Check it out here!!!

10. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    Very good. I learned something about some of the Conn bells. Are they prone to easily be dinked? To me, Strads are very, very soft. I just got my 14 year old a Bach Strad for his birthday (Tuesday). I've tried to worn him that his Strad will dent much easier than his Olds Super.
    Steve