Coprion question

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by ConnDirectorFan, Mar 12, 2016.

1. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Question for those of you who own Coprion bell or seamless/electroformed-copper bell horns - does the bell "ring" when flicked, produce a dull thud, or other? How would you describe it?
    (almost instantaneously I regret asking such a subjective question...the curiosity will kill me I suppose)

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    You can make it a bit less subjective if you record it into Audacity or similar, preferably with a decent microphone.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    It rings on my 12A and I can discern 5 different tones, maybe 6. I love my 12A!!!

4. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Before I go about making a recording, I have noticed the same ring on my Franklin Imperial cornet, but a Conn trumpet with such a bell has a very dull "thud" which I don't want to attribute to the bracing...

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    This is a decent shot of the last brace on a 12A. There's about 8 1/2 inches from brace, with a small footprint, to bell rim. This "sets it free" to resonate imo.

[​IMG]

Here's the 12B (that I don't have, yet :cool:) and while I can't measure, it looks to have less distance from brace to bell. I know this is subjective as Seth noted, but I'm not sure thud is a term I could use for any bell except my Ambassador and it's a heavily braced armadillo-like trumpet.

[​IMG]

6. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This may or may not apply, but I had a Bach 72* and it "pinged" when I bought it. After about 8 years of heavy playing, it was much closer to a thud. I can't help but think that vibration over many years will change the vibration modes. Brass is soft, but copper is softer and I would assume even more liable to change over the years. Reannealing the bell could probably recapture the ring.

7. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    No coprions, but here's a small database to be going on with:

1) B&S Rotary
    2) Inderbinen Alpha C
    3) Yamaha 6335HS II
    4) Severinsen
    5) Wild Thing
    6) Besson 10-10
    7) Monke (piston)
    8) Spiri Vario

Audacity traces:

[​IMG]

WAV file:

https://soundcloud.com/seth_of_lagos/bell-bings

(sorry about the background voices - you know what its like when you ask them to be quiet ;-))

All recorded directly at the mouth of the bell, with a sharp tap from a plastic cig lighter.

The Monke is the only one I'd describe as dull. The Sev rings as well as any.

8. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Cole and Ayick in one post! My poor virgin eyes!!!

Here, take this!!!

[​IMG]

And that!!!

[​IMG]

It "rings" on Ab above middle C (concert). 7" brace to rim (linear measurement).

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    My Conn 9A has a bit of ring to the Coprion bell, but not as bright or sustained as my brass-belled horns. Bell brace to flare is 7.5".

[​IMG]

10. Bochawa!!!

Bochawa!!! Forte User

Nov 4, 2007
    Canada
    Interesting idea. Perhaps Coprion ages like a fine single malt whiskey!