Copyright

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by xjb0906, Jan 28, 2012.

1. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    LOL! Almost blew coffee through my nose on this one... !!

2. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    It is funny to see how a sentence can be chopped up in order to take something out of context.Blow that through your nose. I have no problems with a person disagreeing or providing criticism. I do have a problem with someone taking a statement out of context using it to poke fun at another.

The reason I want to bring in a little money is to offset the expense that come with travel and education. I have yet to profit from a performance of the National Anthem. I have not been paid one penny for playing other than free admission to the events I perform. I am in the red and suspect it will always be this way. I perform because I want to.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    If you are the registered owner of the computer and programs on it, you remain liable to copyright infringement violations. In criminal law there is what is known as accessory before or after the fact and usually the penalty upon conviction is near equal to that of whoever actually committed the crime. Upon conviction, one part of the penalty may be prohibition against usage of a computer by you wherever and forever together with forfeiture by seizure of your present computer. Such may even include employment! What employer doesn't utilize a computer these days ? Ipso facto, if such is found on your computer that is a copyright infringement, there isn't much excuse. Best scenario is to delete it. as only makes it unveiwable albeit forensics may retrieve it.

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I understand what you're saying, but I think you're always going to have a problem if you're trying to make money performing something you didn't write or arrange.

You're are rationalizing/justifying things when you say you're not interested in profit, and just looking to earn money for music instruction, but that doesn't change what's happening.

Lots of people put cover recording of themselves on YouTube, but as soon as you try to make money from it you're in a very grey area of what's acceptable and what's not.

For what it's worth, I don't think you're doing anything wrong, and I hope that you are able to make some money. I just think you need to be aware that you're going to face regular roadblocks.

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    Thanks. I am going to give a lot of thought as to if I will monetize the videos again. I am not sure it is worth the trouble.

I will say that there is at least one trumpet player making making regular money playing The National Anthem. He gets paid to play by sponsors and at corporate events. Even if I ever play it as well as him, I doubt that I will have the notoriety to turn it into dollars.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The original music to the Star Spangled Banner is attributed to the British composer John Stafford Smith from his Omicron in Heaven as adapted to the lyric poetry of Francis Scott Key. To play it or sing it in live performance as originally enacted by the Congress as our National Anthem is the only mode I believe would be monetarily viable. As a CD, I don't think you'll hear better than as performed by one of our military bands or vocalists, and they don't compete in the commercial market with live performances of it. Educators can request and receive a FREE CD of it, however. Your Senator or Congress person can expedite this for you.

If it is in your repertoire as so, I do not believe you could copyright it, or that anyone else could challenge it as an infringement of copyright.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012