Copyrights and Royalties

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Qman, Mar 24, 2007.

1. Qman

Qman New Friend

Dec 1, 2006
    Grand Rapids Mi
    Hello Everyone,

I just formed a brass quintet that will be gigging and performing recitals starting hopefully in Late May. Where can I find information on copyright laws and royalties. For example, we are going to be performing concerts and are going to charge admission-maybe even donation concerts. Do the publishers and/or composers recieve royalties or a commission everytime their pieces are performed? Hope this makes sense.

Or better yet what would be some legal issues that my group should look into as a professional group?

Thanks,

Quincy

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    when my quintet was going I asked several people the same question and received several different answers. The manager of the music store where I purchased a lot of my music told me the main thing they look for is if you record the music and then sell the cd's or tapes they want their cut. He also said if you just play a few concerts here and there they probably wouldn't even notice but if you go big time they will want their fee then - by then you will have your own arrangements any way. Dave

3. someguy6

someguy6 New Friend

Sep 8, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
  4. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    That looks like a pretty good web site.

I'll tell you what our community band did.
    We joined BMI, ASCAP and one other organization and paid our annual fee. That way when we played in shopping centers and city parks we were covered as a public performance. Since we were incorporated as a nonprofit 501(3)c we didn't have to. But, why worry? We paid the organizations and covered our behinds. It was a very small amount of our budget.

5. Qman

Qman New Friend

Dec 1, 2006
    Grand Rapids Mi
    Thanks everybody,

Your advise and knowledge was really helpful.

Have a great Sundany,

Salut,

Q

6. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    I don't get it. If you paid for the music in a store isn't that the fee?
    What did they think you were going to do with the music?

7. Luis M. Araya

Luis M. Araya Pianissimo User

Jul 24, 2005
    Hi, I don't know also much of music bussines but as I understand there are different types of copyrights, like performance copyright, lets say if you buy the music you have the right to rehearse it, studying it, etc. but when it comes to performance then the performance copyright is the one that counts, Am I right?

It is like buying a CD, you have the right to listen it at home, ipod, etc. but if you want to play it publicly you may have to pay for that, I hope I am right?

LMA

8. Qman

Qman New Friend

Dec 1, 2006
    Grand Rapids Mi
    Luis,

That is the way I am understanding it as well.

A bientot