Cork falling off my new mute... what to do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by MPeskanov, Aug 2, 2011.

1. MPeskanov

MPeskanov New Friend

Jul 27, 2011
    East Northport, NY
    So i just bought a Jo-Ral copper bubble mute from Woodwind & Brasswind. I received it today to find that the cork was not applied very well and is falling off at the crease. Also the mute looks a bit dirty and used but there aren't any dents. After spending like 70 bucks on this mute and having to go through this inconvenience I don't think I'll be buying from WWBW anytime soon. In the past I've tried to reapply my cork to my Harmon wah-wah after it falling off while I was playing a show in the pit, but I did not do a good job at all and never got it to stay. I used hot glue when doing this and the glue just didn't stick to the mute. What can I do to secure the cork tightly on this new mute without having it effect the mute or my trumpet? For example I don't want hot glue on my trumpet and also I don't want the true sound of the bubble to altered by the fix. I do not see this as a major problem, so I don't think sending it back for a new mute is necessary. Please help, and keep in mind it is a Jo-Ral copper bubble trumpet mute! Thanks.

2. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    The joral copper mutes are not lacquered so the copper tarnishes very quickly. That is normal. I have the same mute. The side walls are also very thin, and this mute will soon have plenty of dents. Even just gripping it to tighten it in the bell can dent the sides.

Use rubber cement for cork repairs. Put some on the mute, and some on the cork, let them get tacky and then put them togther. Hot glue is no good.

coolerdave likes this.
  3. jsmiley89

jsmiley89 New Friend

Jan 23, 2011
    Iowa
    It's not a WWBW problem with the tarnish- if you use that mute twice a week it'll look like an old penny within a couple months- it's a sign of being a veteran though :-P
    As for the cork, I've used 2-part apoxe with 100% success. Apply the apoxe and then compress the cork on the mute w/ a rubber band to make sure it sticks right. I've purchased 4 Jo Ral mutes (1 copper/1 aluminum bubble, 1 straight and 1 cup) and I've had to re-glue all of them- the bonding agent they use isn't strong enough for the amount of grip their corks have, but apoxe gets it done. Btw, I'd suggest toothpicks for mixing and applying it- it's too harmful/sticky to want to have it on your hands for more than a couple minutes.
    Good luck!
    :play:

4. GreenFrogJelly

GreenFrogJelly New Friend

Jul 19, 2011
    New York
    I doubt wwandbw had a hand in your mute troubles. This seems pretty common.

I used gorilla glue (very sparingly) on mine, without incident.

5. MPeskanov

MPeskanov New Friend

Jul 27, 2011
    East Northport, NY
    thanks!

6. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    You're right, hot glue doesn't work. I have used double-sided tape (both thin and thick), the spray glue that is used by the automobile industry to attach trim, and my favorite is silicone based sealer (the kind used to seal fish tank leaks works fine). I've also used rubber cement, Pliobond Contact Adhesive and laminate adhesive (like is used to bond plastic laminate counter tops in place) with good results.

Just a suggestion, if you can completely remove the cork without tearing it make a template on a thin piece of cardboard and store it in a safe place. That way, if you lose part of the cork you can cut a new piece out of sheet cork. I have a template for the Harmon Brand Wah-Wah and have replaced the cork for many people over the years (thus most of my adhesive experience) and making that template was a real pain--I guard it carefully since it's even a good starting place for other brands.

7. homebilly

homebilly Pianissimo User

Dec 29, 2010
    Los Angeles & Paris, Fran
    hot glue worked just fine for me. i bought the gun and glue at the .99 store.
    i replaced the corks on two jo-rals

8. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I wouldn't use either standard rubber cement or any kind of epoxy - I'd use contact cement. It's kind of like rubber cement, but IMO it just works better and lasts longer.

Gorilla Glue would probably be pretty good though - that stuff rocks in my workshop for a myriad of uses.

9. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    Hm - my cork fell off the Jo-Ral bubble mute straight after purchase and I used 2-part epoxy to reattach it - I had to be careful the glue didn't rise up the seam where the cork folded round. Two years on it's still holding.

--bumblebee

10. MPeskanov

MPeskanov New Friend

Jul 27, 2011
    East Northport, NY
    I think I'm going to use some Gorilla Super Glue. Thanks everyone!