Cork falling off my new mute... what to do?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by MPeskanov, Aug 2, 2011.

1. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    I have a Giardinelli harmon-style mute from the good ol' days when they were a real shop on 46th street. This mute had a stupid FOAM RUBBER gasket on the tip instead of cork, though! It seemed cool until about the third or fourth time it popped out of my bell. I ended up putting two strips of sheet cork in the traditional spot, and pushing the rubber back so that it just touched the bell and kept the benefit of a really good seal. That was a pain.

2. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Epoxies (I think all true epoxy is 2-part) are without a doubt tight bonding adhesives. It's just not what I'd use because once it's there, it's pretty much there - if you ever needed to get it off and actually replace the cork, you'd have a heck of a time getting it off without scraping it off with something. That's the only reason I wouldn't use it - epoxy is great for certain applications, but for this I think contact cement is the way to go - a contact cement will come off with a solvent, and yet can wind up holding nearly as well. Then again, there may be a type of epoxy that responds well to solvents - I only know that in my experience with the types I've used, they harden and stick really well, which is the reason I used them instead of using some other type of adhesive.

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I bow to your superior advice - sincerely - but my trusty 2-part was all I had in the house. I'll probably pay for it later when the cork deteriorates. But I like 2-part epoxy - it sticks like glue!

--bumblebee

4. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

Call WWBW and ask for Dale Shafer or Brendan Crise. They will make it right.

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    If it helps I agree with trickg. I have used contact cement for years and have never had a problem.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    That's probably going to be a LONG Time coming - I've got mutes that are pretty danged old and have the original corks that are holding up just fine, and for the record, in your shoes I'd have used the epoxy too. Sometimes you just need to get it done. :-) The cool thing about epoxy is how quickly it can set up. I bought some for a project one time and the main reason I got it was due to how quickly it set up and held - it had a cure time of something like 2 minutes, so I did a quick mix, stuck the parts together, and just held them for the 2 minute time span. Done - that was it. It cured up solid and hasn't budged since. This was on a project where if I wanted to take the time, I could have used a standard PVA wood glue, but I didn't want to take the time for that to set up and cure - the epoxy got it done and allowed me to slam the project together whereas if I had used wood glue it would have taken me a lot more time.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2011