Corners feel funky

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by commakozzi, Jan 8, 2008.

1. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    I've been away from the horn for way too long, but I am on a regular practice schedule again. My lips (the center portion that buzzes) feel just fine, and I don't use a lot of pressure when I play. In fact, I know I need to walk away from the horn as soon as my embouchure starts spreading on notes at the top of the staff or higher. I'll do a few chromatics from low C to low F# the loosen up and focus again, and then put the horn down for that session. However, as the day goes on my corners are what really bother me. They just feel funky (that's all I know to say), maybe tired, and my sessions run sometimes as little as 8-10 mins. Is this just something I'll get over as I continue to play over the weeks, months, years, etc. or is there something I might be doing wrong and could fix now? I guess my gut tells me that patience will prove that this "problem" is just a natural growing pain, but I just want to know if anyone else knows anything about this or any remedies. A friend of mine that I haven't talked to in a while, he's with the Boston Symphony now, told me something once about taking a hot, wet towel and laying it over your lips and just relaxing at night to recover. Ever heard of this, done this, seen results, etc.?

2. Firestas'1

Firestas'1 Piano User

Dec 21, 2006
    New Jersey
    Trust your gut, what I think you are feeling is a combination of fatigue and the muscles building up again after a long time "off".
    I have heard the warm towel practice does offer some releif and promotes added blood flow to the muscles which helps them to recover faster. Remember, slow and steady wins the race.
    Try to increase your session length slowly say at 5 minute intervals.
    Be sure to warm up thoroughly with long soft tones in the middle of the staff. Endurance and comfort will come.

3. commakozzi

commakozzi Pianissimo User

Oct 30, 2007
    Georgia, USA
    Yeah, I believe you're right, and that's what I'm trying to do. My endurance has improved rapidly by taking it slow and making sure I'm not over doing it. The funky-ness isn't showing up until later in the day, so that's a good sign. That's for your reply!