Corners of your mouth? [w/video]

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by JackTheMusician, Jul 7, 2015.

1. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    One of the most common things is keeping the corners of the mouth pinned when playing, I just watched a video from last year and noticed they move... Is it bad in this manner? I think I've stopped now but I'd have to wait to play again to see! But incase, does anyone have any tips for keeping them pinned?

https://youtu.be/3P_eHRxo2XU <-- The last post

I have a feeling that it may have been last ditch because my lip was shattered from playing all day! But still.

I'd like to think I've improved since then, but comment may be appreciated haha

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I think fatigue was the biggest influence on your corners. Once we get tired we automatically start doing all kinds of things to compensate, and the danger of playing tired is the formation of bad habits. I think you're fine.

3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    What are your thoughts on tonguing the intital note of each bar, and softening the others - that's how I was taught to play the Last Post - and isn't that last note, as easy as it seems, a bit of a bugger?

4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Try it in front in front of a big crowd with a nithering easterly blowing in off Siberia, a TV camera stuck up your left nostril, and the trombones behind laying odds on which note you'll fluff. :D

5. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    Is it me or trumpet players overanalyze everything?!?!?

6. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    certainly right with me haha

7. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Wilmer Wise once said this to me ..

8. redintheface

redintheface Pianissimo User

Nov 8, 2010
    Bath, UK
    71% of my teachers whose name began with T said this, 32% of them did it on Monday morning, but only if the weather was fine, or their wife had had a go at them prior to the lesson. Except if they were wearing jeans, in which case they were likely to be having embouchure problems that morning....

I don't know where you get that statement from.....! LOL

9. ChinTurret

ChinTurret New Friend

Jun 8, 2015
    Northern Virginia
    Let me think about that and I'll get back to you.

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    We can watch ourselves in the mirror and accomplish 2 things:
    1) play the horn for what we see - instead of to make music
    2) constantly confront ourselves with what we are doing wrong

OR

we can get a daily routine designed to create and maintain good playing habits and be able to focus on emotion and musical expression.

Just think about what is understood on the internet when the best teacher in the world would say something like: Keep the corners firm

The chances of someone with no idea getting that right is so close to zero that it is not funny.

I am not really sure how to answer the first post of the thread. My embouchure is for sure not "pinned" in the corners.......

My suggestion would to play smart and NEVER shatter your lip. It would also be to get some good lipslur exercises like those by Earl Irons or Max Schlossberg. Long tones and lipslurs along with playing smart EVERY DAY generate a solid stable embouchure over time. It is evolution not revolution and instead of looking at ourselves, we concentrate on the task at hand: making music instead of posing for a beauty contest.......