Cornet Advice Please?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by cargo, Sep 29, 2009.

1. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    Usually Sovereigns should have 2 triggers (as most pro shepherd's crook cornets) as pictured below:

[​IMG]

2. Bloomin Untidy Musician

Bloomin Untidy Musician Piano User

Jan 14, 2008
    Staffordshire
    Get some lessons for a 6months and join a 4th section brass band on 3rd cornet. You live right in the heart of banding country, so why not. When you join these bands they generally will sort you out with top knotch cornet as well!!! If you need a contact PM me. I might be able to organise you with a private tutor as well.

3. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    :dontknow:Where is the picture?:huh:
    Edit: OK - I see it now.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2009
  4. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I can view the pic...can't you?

5. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Hi Cargo,

I'm like you, a beginner who never played a brass instrument but picked up a cornet because I have wanted to play cornet and trumpet for quite a while.

We might even be neighbours, what district of Manchester do you live in, I am in Sale.

You have a great cornet there, I share the opinions of others about these landmark instruments. If it ever needs any work, we have McQueens local to us, I cant recommend them highly enough for repairs and refurbs to any brass instrument.

Its well worth having it looked over in case it needs re-felting and corking and to make sure its fully playable, theres no point trying to learn on a faulty horn.

I also agree about joining a band, if like me you cant afford a tutor, then they will help with correct development and ensemble playing.

Good luck with your playing, and dont be disappointed if it takes longer than you thought it would, it really is worth the effort.

Kind regards

Brian

6. cargo

cargo New Friend

Sep 27, 2009
    manchester, UK
    Thanks for the info D. I have been speaking to a chap who runs a local brass band and he can give me lessons quite cheaply. I got the cornet for 5 english pounds. So pocket change really. I guess it had been gathering dust in somebodys attic and ended up in a car boot sale. I cant wait to begin. I can't make a buzzing sound with my lips though??? I can blow some pretty clear notes, like a low C (I guess it is) and again in a higher octave. But when I try to do it without the horn to my lips I jsut tend to spit all over the place ha ha. I guess it will all become clear when I start working with the tutor.

7. trumpetnick

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    5 GBP? I will give you ten ROFL for it.

8. cargo

cargo New Friend

Sep 27, 2009
    manchester, UK
    That's the fella. So that clears up my slide worried lol. Thanks guys.