cornet and trumpet compare

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by tom turner, Nov 10, 2003.

1. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    jamesfrmphilly

cornet and trumpet compare
    « Thread started on: 10/14/2003 at 11:08:04 »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    i'd like to hear the same thing played by a trumpet and then by a cornet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    used, beat up, MAX trumpet: Bach 5V

2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

I'll try to do so pretty soon, if we can find a way!

What is REALLY interesting is to "A-B" a trumpet vs. a cornet with a Bach-type cornet mouthpiece (with a "C"-type cup) vs. a British-type cornet mouthpiece vs. a vintage-type funnel mouthpiece.

The cornet has MANY voices . . . and I like 'em all!

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

3. mark935

mark935 Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2004
    Riverside,CA
    This thread sort of pertains to a question I have.

I play last chair third part in a community band so I was wondering (even though EVERYONE, about nine or ten players play trumpets) if I should take my Olds Super Recording to band practice. I play 3rd cornet parts regularly.

4. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Mark.... why not? You just might turn some of the other section members on to cornet and they'll start bringing theirs too! Remember that composers wrote (and write) for "cornet", for "trumpet" OR for both. They usually had a reason for specifying which and it has to do with the overall sound of the band. In an intermediate community band I play 1st trumpet in, I'll take whatever horns are called for in the folder (trumpet, cornet or flugel). I realize that the other members of the section do not have cornet or flugel, but there are usually only one or two of them for any given rehearsal so it works out anyway.

In our senior band I'm playing mostly 2nd and some 3rd in a section of 7. Because none of the others take alternate horns I only carry trumpet UNLESS there is a flugel solo or duet that shows up "while the trumpets are playing a different line" ("Finlandia" springs to mind). Then the flug gets it's exercise.

I think that there is too much "trumpet snobbishness" in North American community bands. I vote for carrying whatever axe you have that the music calls for and USING IT!

Yeah... that's the ticket... let's start a movement! Just make sure that you have the appropriate cornet mouthpiece so that you get the appropriate cornet sound! (brass band sound vs. dixieland cornet sound).

5. bigaggietrumpet

bigaggietrumpet Mezzo Forte User

Jan 23, 2004
    Nazareth, PA
    There's a flugel part for Finlandia?!! Man, our orchestra is working that piece and I ain't seein' it!

Yeah, the Olds Cornet in my sig (Rustpot, as I affectionately call it) usually only sees action when I am doing Dixie band work, which is almost never, but it is nice to have, plus the memories of learning how to play on that old thing...

6. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Yes there is. About midway through (at least the arrangement we have), there is a woodwind chorale. It is followed by a repetition with two flugelhorns featured to provide a "change of sound color". Goes very nicely. When I get home tonight I'll send you the arranger/publisher for the version we used.

7. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    Cornet vs trumpet

I play cornet 90 % of the time. Mostly solo and British Brass Band stuff. If you are playing in a concert or community type band and there are cornet parts - the cornet parts are ALWAYS the best parts. Take your cornet - then demand that you be given the 1st cornet parts if there are any seeing as you will probably be the only one with a cornet. I sometimes sub in a few local community bands and I always bring my cornet instead of my trumpet. People look at me as if I was playin a bassoon in the trumpet section. I usually rip their lips off in the first 5 minutes and by the end of rehearsel they are asking me where they can buy one and how much they cost :-)

Seth Moore

8. mark935

mark935 Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2004
    Riverside,CA
    thanks for input.

yeah, that's one way of working my way up the section (of V1's,getzens and strads) be the only one with a cornet and offer to take those first parts.

you know how community bands are. the members with seniority get the first parts and anyway it's humbling.

I strive to be totally egoless and fighting over last chair helps me obtain that loftly goal. I most always win.

I'll take the cornet too but I only have a schilke 13a4 that came with it.

mark

9. Mr. Stomvi

Mr. Stomvi Pianissimo User

Nov 14, 2003
    Cornets in band

Mark wrote

"yeah, that's one way of working my way up the section (of V1's,getzens and strads) be the only one with a cornet and offer to take those first parts."

Absolutely - you go right to the front. No point sittin there for another 50 years waitin for the 1st chair guys to die out :D

"you know how community bands are. the members with seniority get the first parts and anyway it's humbling."

Yea - there are so many funny stories regarding that stuff. I subbed in a community band recently. The three folks playing 1st parts had been there since Abe Lincoln was president. Not great players - just, um, um , mature lets say. Playing 3rd part were three recent music school graduates who could have blown their doors off left handed and blindfolded. Unfortunately, the recent music school grads of course found out that after they graduate there really aren't that many chances to play in any kind of bands any more so they got stuck in a community band playing 3rd parts playing high school level music. They essentially went backward 8 years. The guys playin the 1st and 2nd parts will never give up those parts. I could barely stand to watch as they were essentially sittin there playin half notes most of the night while I grabbed the 1st cornet part immediately and asked "anybody here have a cornet ? No - well I guess I had better play the 1st part seeing as I'm the only one here with a cornet !! :D

"I'll take the cornet too but I only have a schilke 13a4 that came with it."

Naw - Ya want something super deep like a Wick # 4 or Sparx 4DV. The deeper the better. That way when you sound like a Flugel sitting in the trumpet section playin your 1st cornet part you can look "down" the section at everyone else and say - "Isn't it nice that we now get to hear the 1st cornet part the way it was supposed to be sound ? :D

Yea - I know I'm evil, but us cornet players have to promote ourselves while in the midst of all those mean ole trumpet players :D

Seth Moore

10. mark935

mark935 Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2004
    Riverside,CA
    Good stuff!

I recall the first evening I walked in to the middle school cafeteria last summer. A young guy, real nice guy too, was playing some warm up arpeggios up to maybe an E,F or high G. Sounded fine. I thought about trying to match him but didn't.

These older guys where sneering at him and mumbling in disgust. It wasn't right.

The kid is in his first year at Berklee now.