Cornet as a possible big band lead instrument?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Nov 20, 2011.

1. operagost

operagost Forte User

Jan 25, 2009
    Spring City, PA, USA
    If it was an 80A or Victor model Conn cornet, I believe it. Mouthpiece choice makes the difference.

2. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Playing a cornet on lead trumpet part in a big band is like paddling a canoe with a 2X4 instead of using a paddle. Sure, it "works", but it isn't as efficient as using a paddle and you'll be worn out a lot sooner.

3. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello,say if you had a .468 bore Reynolds Argenta Cornet. Would that one be able to hold it's own? They can get pretty loud. Not sure how it would blend.

Finding one of these Argenta Cornets in very good condition will be hard to come by. A nice fellow from Australia was offering one for sale at a very reasonable price. Said he may be in the States around March. Was very interested,but My recent Dentist Bill and Grand's Christmas change my plans.

If you are playing with a Trumpet group,you might have to go with a lead model type Trumpet. With a Flugelhorn group,a Reynolds Argenta/Conn 36A Concert Grand/or larger .485 bore Conn 37A Connstellation or large bore 80A Victor might work. Good luck

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Ummm, those who read before commenting have advantages. We often have the whole section (all 4 or 5 players) playing flugel. The lead part is still the lead part. That often works with a cornet too.

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Drum Corps used flugels for years, they do a lot of jazz pieces. The guy uses it and it is successful, it's not as uncommon as one may think, it just requires a player who is not only aware of his sound but also can change his tone to fit the setting.

6. Mark_Kindy

Mark_Kindy Mezzo Forte User

Jul 11, 2010
    Gainesville, FL
    Yeah, cornet would play just fine alongside flugels. Flugel lead though, huh? I would assume you wouldn't be looking for such a brilliant sound then (after all, it's flugel). I'm sure that sounds great on ballads. We did something along those lines for my jazz band back in high school.

7. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    Ummm, I did read before commenting. I read a comment made by "da trump" which said "As a side note, in the band I'm in, the lead player exclusively uses flugelhorn, still not sure how but he does."
    Obviously when a whole section plays flugels and the lead player uses flugel too, then he is the lead instrument. That's obvious. What I was referring to was the above quote. How can a player use exclusively flugel for lead? Especially surrounded by other trumpets. All I can say is that it must sound like ass.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Hey man, don't hold back - tell us what you really think...:lol:

9. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    The guy in question isn't the main lead player, but when he does he uses flugel. He makes his tone bright enough to stick out just enough for lead. Like i said, I am still not sure how he does it, but he does.

10. Local 357

Local 357 Banned

Jul 1, 2011

Conn Director cornet. Not sure which vintage. Has the "K" serial number. Probably from the 1960's - 70's

And some kind of .464 trumpet. While it is labelled a "F. Besson" it is a newer model. NOT the antique collectors items. In fact my trumpet may actually be from a totally different manufacturer than Besson.

The .464 helps it play loud well. Also a versatile instrument.