Cornet as a possible big band lead instrument?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Local 357, Nov 20, 2011.

1. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    Talk about running a marathon in wingtips!

codyb226 likes this.
  2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    It is more like a school kid describing something that they do not understand.

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Kanstul made many Bessons during the Boosey & Hawkes ownership. Too, some were made in India. That is the way it is today, brands we once knew the origin of, may not be true now. The really valuable vintage Bessons were those he made in France before moving his production to England due to a riff with the French government I'm told. Not sayin' these vintage French instruments are the best playin'.

4. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    Just the text book opinion here, but I thought traditional flugelhorns were capable of playing louder( and quieter) than trumpets in the lower and middle registers, conical bore like a megaphone, though they have intonation issues above the staff due to the short lead pipe going directly into the valve block.

I am not sure about the cornet since people tend to play the cornet with massive mouthpieces, though they have a much narrower lead pipe, maybe try getting the equivalent of a lead mouthpiece for the cornet? I have been experimenting with going between a jet-tone studio 7D and a denis wick 4B on the cornet. Makes a huge difference in playing up the registers in terms of ease and tone for me anyway.

5. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I have a couple cornets (giant-bore Conns) that really light up with mouthpieces like a 10-1/2C and smaller. I'd think that they would almost be on an even par with a trumpet as far as projection and tone go, but they are still a little more tiring to play in the upper register than my trumpets with the same size mouthpiece.

6. Trumpet Dreamer

Trumpet Dreamer Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2010
    Jazz Town, USA
    The entire trumpet section will double on flugel as the chart may require. The lead player is also playing a flugel. Never seen a flugel leading a section of trumpets, though.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2011
  7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I've only see him lead with a flugel in a trumpet song once, and I'm not sure that was purposeful. But in a non-flugel song, the other players, including me, will use cornets. I am VERY unfamiliar with the differences in cylindrical and conical bore and the main differences in cornet, trumpet, and flugel, and all that, which is why I'm straying away from that science. We don't have practice this week, so I can't ask him. Hopefully though someone that does know may shed some light.

8. PINCHUNO

PINCHUNO Piano User

Apr 4, 2005
    Tenerife
    Obviously when all trumpets are using flugels in a particular song/section, the lead player is leading the flugels. There is a big difference to leading a section of flugels with a flugel, to trying to lead a section of TRUMPETS with a flugel.

9. JNINWI

JNINWI Piano User

Apr 26, 2011
    Earth
    Great analogy... Cornets have their place, just not in a big band.