Cornet Clarinet Impersonation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by n8r, May 18, 2012.

1. n8r

n8r New Friend

May 10, 2012
    I've just began playing trumpet again after 20 years since high school and am really enjoying it. Wish I had never quit. Anyway, in trying to figure out the best Embouchure and messing around I've been experimenting with changing the sound and tone of my Cornet. I'm having a lot of fun seeing all the different tones I can make for effects and what not and am surprised I'm able to make it sound remarkably like a clarinet and even sax. The Cornet is a King 603 with a Bach 5c MP. I wasn't really trying to play anything musical, more just screwing around tone wise. Also I've been over-playing the last couple days so my regular tone isn't too great. In this recording the tone goes in and out and gets too bright and distorted at times. I want to try to perfect this technique and keep it dark and mellow on demand and not go in and out of the tone.....What do you guys think does it resemble a clarinet or am I smoking crack, haha? Here's a recording, click the link below:

Cornet Clarinet Impersonation by Nate Ross 1 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  2. AndrewL

AndrewL New Friend

Jan 14, 2011
    England
    Just played this to everyone in my house and the consensus was it sounds nothing like a clarinet. My wife is a clarinet player and she said the same. Sorry!

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    You're smokin' crack!! ROFL

4. n8r

n8r New Friend

May 10, 2012
    haha well i wasn't saying the whole recording sounded like a clarinet, what I should have said was that there were a few short moments when the sound for a second would resemble a clarinet to my ears. Also were you using crappy computer speakers to listen to it? I just listened to it over my comp speakers and it definately doesn't sound like a clarinet that way. Using high quality headphones or speakers I can hear the low tones i'm talking about. OK, i'm going to try recording it again ,better, with the tone I'm hearing and try to get better at it. Maybe i can turn it into a nice useful sound with practice, or maybe it is just crap noise haha, we'll see........... Hey just remember, todays squeaks are tomorrows notes!

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    This is proof that you should never play the cornet while smoking crack.

tobylou8 likes this.
  6. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    To clarify.I am not putting down the playing of the cornet. I didn't sound any better in my first days of trying to play again. I find it very curious that someone would want to make a cornet sound like a clarinet. Learning to make a good trumpet/cornet sound is enough of a challenge for me.

7. n8r

n8r New Friend

May 10, 2012
    It's called diversity. Why do all the pro's try to make their trumpets sound different than they do inherently at times by making weird noises and unusual sounds with them ?( usually in Jazz). A true trumpet/cornet sound is any sound that can come out of it. What we "call" a proper/good trumpet/cornet sound is just something that we are taught by mainstream that that's how it's supposed to sound. It's all subjective. Now I just happen to love the "mainstream" ideal sound of a trumpet and that's what I try to sound like as my core sound, but I think if you've mastered that you have only mastered a portion of the instrument. It's capable of far more. It's like trying to paint only using one color if you only use one sound IMO. Also, the above recording is not how I sound playing normally. I was just experimenting and my lips were really fatigued from over-playing.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  8. AndrewL

AndrewL New Friend

Jan 14, 2011
    England
    I look forward to your next recording. I can make my trumpet sound like a horse by the way (although I'm not brave enough to post a recording of this).

9. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    In the late '60s and early '70s, at the height of the "new thing" experimentations, I saw and heard saxophonists / clarinetists playing their horns with a trumpet mouthpiece, even trumpet players sometimes adapting a sax mouthpiece (don't know exactly how they did this adaptation !). In both cases the result was … weird !
    More wisely, Joe McPhee played/plays trumpet AND saxophones.
    (So did Benny Carter).

10. n8r

n8r New Friend

May 10, 2012
    lol, I'm on a mission now to see if I can make a recording that will get everyone in your house to at least say it kinda, sorta, maybe sounds like a clarinet.