Cornet Clarinet Impersonation

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by n8r, May 18, 2012.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Indeed! Who in his right mind would really want to imitate a (word missing, but it starts with f) clarinet!

2. n8r

n8r New Friend

May 10, 2012
    I would. The clarinet is an awesome instrument when in the right hands. like this:

New York Gypsy All Stars performs EZ-Pass - YouTube

3. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    You must have a lot of time on your hands. Wait! Why am I spending time posting here? I'm going to go practice.

4. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    I agree totally. A good clarinet player is a win for the world. Unfortunately, there are not too many of those about - most clarinet players are of a different category, that gave rise to that old chestnut: "How do you define a second? - Two clarinets playing in unison." And who would want to imitate that on a cornet?

5. brandondeleo

brandondeleo Pianissimo User

Apr 29, 2012

You... you used the P word.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    It's as easy as playing cornet ... just play a real clarinet ... they're both Bb instruments. I'm still looking to again find the busker I once saw who was playing a trumpet with a reed mouthpiece.

No one with Scot's blood (or otherwise) wants to hear me attempt the skirl of bagpipes on trumpet with one of my renditions of Auld Lang Syne.

7. brandondeleo

brandondeleo Pianissimo User

Apr 29, 2012

Come to Seattle's Pike Place Market. Every kind of busker you could possibly imagine... There's a guy who plays a piano upside down.

8. n8r

n8r New Friend

May 10, 2012
    I hear ya. I should state that my intent with trying to produce a clarinet type sound on the cornet was never to use it as the main core sound but rather just as something to have in my tone/effect quiver to add interest and variety to my music i'm writing. I guess my point is that I've heard some really cool unorthodox sounds come out of some world class players horns and it really does add alot to the overall sound of the music. At this point, I have a long way to go to develop the tone into something that sounds good and is controllable, but I think I can turn it into something that's desirable to hear.

Last edited: May 20, 2012