Cornet CONTEST

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Jun 14, 2015.

1. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    WELL, I found two huttl cornets.
    One is line 800 one is unknown.

The line 800's 3rd slide has to be pulled.

But the unknown functions with a 3rd finger ring BUT with the water key unsoldered.

Which would you rather have?

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I would firstly have to see good pictures of both and do some research on the brand. Of my 4 cornets, Olds Super, Conn 80A, 1930s Selmer and Besson Soverign, the Besson is the only I would play seriously in a band or orchestra.

Regards, Stuart.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    The Besson Sovereign or Bach 184L would be my choice for a good all round cornet. My Olds Super is a great fun cornet, and does depend heavily on mpce choice. As an entry cornet, the Beuscher cornet is not bad.

The Huttl cornets would not be my choice for a contest, but agree - show us the photos and we can choose.

4. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    Both! Then I could switch to which one I feel like playing on a given day because they both probably sound and feel different

5. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    I will make a redundant request for photos, as well! Huttl can vary widely, but I have heard that, if it looks like the vintage Getzen 80 cornet, it is a decent imitation...

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    If it's a choice between two Hüttls, that is more or less a choice between bad and worse... by comparison with decent instruments. If you want a good cornet for a British-style Brass band - round stamp Besson Sovereign or, if you can find a well-kept one, preferably a late Besson International. Indestructible valves, and a smooth silky sound to dream of. If you're keen on something new, the Stomvi Elite comes close, but is not as smoothly responsive as the Besson International.

If you now compare the two cornets to people, well for me, the Besson International would be an intensely beautiful and intelligent girl in a perfect "little black" instantly reacting to my innermost thoughts;
    whereas the Hüttl would be something like an aged, permanently grumpy cliché of a caretaker in a print kirtle and wellies...