Cornet is flat

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PatMurphy, Jul 10, 2011.

1. tpsiebs

tpsiebs Piano User

Feb 6, 2010
    Randolph, New Jersey
    Just because the mouthpiece isn't bottoming out, doesn't meant that the gap is correct. There should be a gap. Maybe while at Dillons you van look at Reeves cornet mouthpieces (with sleeves) and find the gap which works best for you with respect to both pitch and response. The incorrectly set gap may also be affecting your response over C.

Sorry, I've not played the Dillon flugelhorn. Last time I was there I went to play the Martin Imperial that they had on the wall. When I left, it was still in the wall. 'nuff said.

Best

Tom

2. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    When I was there the martin was not on the wall but you are telling me I did not miss anything. I tried the Callet and was very dissappointed
    The others were only so so
    The best sounding one was the left handed Cousnon or Couteous.

Any experience with either Monett or Wedge MPc?

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    On Trumpet Herald, there is a poster who has a Committee cornet who had all sorts of issues, including intonation, that he fixed with a receiver modification. It might be just the cornet itself; might be worth your time to go on that forum and take a look.

Tom

4. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    I have a short shank Yamaha 14C4 mpc. It's like a Bach 3C with a C cup not a V cup. When inserted into my cornet it makes the overall lenght shorter, therefore raising the overall pitch of the horn. The reason one plays flat in the upper register on a deep V cup is they haven't worked into it. It will play in tune but it's just more work.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  5. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Hello Pat. Something else to consider is that your Comittee Cornet is a American long Bell Cornet. Other words a Martin Comittee Trumpet in Cornet wrap. If that is the case. A short shank deep V cup M.P. will probably not solve the problem. May play even flatter or dull sounding.

Since, You are playing in a Bach 3C rim size. Give a Kanstul CG3 Cornet M.P. a try. The shank taper on this Kanstul piece and the Stork Vacchiano long model cornet mouth pieces. Seem to be more universal, in fitting the older m.p receivers, of these long bell model cornets.

If this particular model Martin Comittee cornet came with a Martin issued long shank Cornet m.p. Stands to reason,you should stay with a long shank mouthpiece. Have your Music Tech. check out the valve alighnment/cork/felt/springs etc. May be a issue there.

I use Bach 10 1/2 C/B cups and a 8 1/2 Bach med. V cup on my King Master cornets. When I tried short shank/ deep V cups. Did not play so well for me,except for the long shank Kanstul CGP deep V cup.

Storks played real nice,but not enough rim bite to my liking. The Kanstul Cornet CG3 was very good and the best playing over all. Rim,I loved,but rim size to large. Hated having to give it up.

Good luck on your horn problem,let a local Pro Cornet player friend help you out. Or your Music Tech., listen while you play it. Two heads better than one. Good luck.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011
  6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The problem with a cornet that only plays well and/or in tune with a shallow mouthpiece is...you might as well just be playing a trumpet. If you enjoy playing a particular cornet, and don't mind it sounding trumpet-like, I suppose that's not a big deal. To each his own.

7. PatMurphy

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    I agree with all the recent comments. If I want to play a cornet I want it to sound like one, not a trumpet. When I get to Dillons I will try the mpcs suggested except I cann do a Bach 7 or 10. I am a big mouth and it wont fit into a mpc that small. Iused to play one that size many (20)years ago.
    I have improved it a bit by centering on the pitch of C on the staff rather than the Low C. Therefore the adjustment above and below is almost not noticable
    What is noticable is the effort required in the high register vs the trumpet

My free form style is phrases is a big full sound in one octave and imediately up or down an octave. Lots of dynamics, soft vs loud and bending notes etc. Thast is why a cornet may just not work for me.
    I probably should put the alternative instrument effort into a flugel

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    You know, some cornets are that way. I've found my "solution" cornet, a 1960's Conn 5A. It plays well and in tune with just about any mouthpiece, from a Schilke 8A4 to a Wick 4B (those are the extremes I have in cornet mouthpieces...). The tone with various mouthpieces varies just the way you'd think, from trumpet bright to brass band rich. And....the Conn has a huge sound and plays really easily in the upper register!

Maybe you need a different cornet, or as you said, maybe a flugel would work better for what you're doing. Good luck with your search.

9. PatMurphy

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    I used to get much more use from the Getson 3 valve I had.
    I had an olds shephards crook I used to play old dirty blues
    but alas, they were stolen along with my 50s Selmer trumpet.
    Iam looking forward to trying Dillon's new flugel.