Cornet Mouthpiece Suggestions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Etiennse, Oct 21, 2012.

1. Etiennse

Etiennse Pianissimo User

Nov 20, 2011
    Orange, Nj
    I play a Bach 1 1/2c on trumpet. ANy nice dark sounding ones for a cornet I may be getting.

2. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    I have a Schilke 18 I really like on my cornets. Big dark, velvety sound. Very rich and smoky on my Committee.

3. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    I would suggest a Curry 1.5 BBC. - the BBC. cornet mouthpieces by Mark Curry are heavenly.

4. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Also in the Curry line, the DC and VC models are very fine ones and help produce the right sort of cornet sound. It's hard to go wrong with any of his cornet mouthpieces. Depending on what you find comfortable and just what works best for you, the safari could be expanded to include Sparx (the Soloist 2B is a great piece), either version of the Claude Gordon Personal or CG3, and some of the deeper Warburton models (D, XD, MBC, and BC in order of cup depth).

5. AndrewL

AndrewL New Friend

Jan 14, 2011
    England
    Yamaha 16e

6. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    I'm a fan of the Denis Wick pieces. I also liked the Bach 5V and 5MV for cornet.

Kujo

7. study888

study888 Mezzo Forte User

Aug 22, 2005
    Darlington S.C.
    Since you are using a 1 1/2C Bach Trumpet mouthpiece. Try the Bach 1 1/2B Cornet mouthpiece. If your Cornet is a long bell cornet. The B cup will be just fine.

The short model, larger bell/shepard crook cornets handle the deep V cups much better. With Cornets,one can get Dark playing and a mellow playing sounds mixed up. To go darker /warmer or broader in sound. That is where the Flugelhorn comes in.

Most long bell USA made cornets sound very much like their Trumpet counter parts. A C cup or B cup responds basically the same on these type ,as the same model Trumpet. Any V cup deeper than a Kanstul CG Personel,to me makes my King Master Cornets play to flat.

A Bach 5B will give the same over all sound on my King Master Cornet as the Kanstul CGP. Like the rim and more open blow on the CGP,helps open up the med. bore Cornet some.

Since you can play the bigger rim Bach mouthpieces. My second choice would be the (16.60MM), Kanstul CG3 Cornet mouthpiece. Cup is med. deep,but gives a very nice balanced tone on a Long Bell Cornet. Rim is comfortable to play on. Good luck.

Kujo20 likes this.