Cornet Players-What is your favorite Horn? Why?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by adc, May 12, 2018.

1. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Mine is a large bore, too, with a gold brass bell. It is very tiring to play above the staff for some reason (I have other cornets that aren't). I've had the valves aligned, which helped a little. The gap was huge, so I had the receiver reamed a bit, and that helped also, but I'm still not satisfied. I have a Mt. Vernon 106 leadpipe I'm considering having installed to see if that helps any. I've tried it zip-tied to the 184 pipe, but it's hard to tell much that way.

2. Sterling

Sterling Mezzo Forte User

Oct 22, 2007
    Marcellus, NY
    It might be the nature of the instrument. To be honest, I don’t use this cornet above the staff much. I think of it more as a compact flugelhorn. Valves are clanky and noisy for a Bach. I’ve played Bach’s since 1968 and love them, but they can be tiring to play. I played 4 quintet gigs last Saturday and switched to my Jupiter 1600i and it was much easier than my 43 sterling

3. new-killer-star

new-killer-star New Friend

Apr 18, 2017
    I haven’t played enough cornets to compare really but I like my Buescher 400 cornet a lot, it sounds very mellow and is easy to play.
    7D3C9364-FA08-4E98-B0D3-2F0DF514618B.jpeg

Efig likes this.
  4. adc

adc Mezzo Piano User

Jan 12, 2017
    Elizabethtown, Pa.
    Really nice horn. It even looks like a great player. You may not need to try anything else. Late twenties?

5. Efig

Efig Mezzo Piano User

Sep 29, 2016
    New York
    Most likely not, Buescher did not make "The 400" models in the 20s. I would say mid to late 30s because it has the prewar nickel leadpipe.

6. new-killer-star

new-killer-star New Friend

Apr 18, 2017
    I believe it is a 1939 (which makes it the baby of my 2 horns). It plays and sounds very nice, my only nit is that the valves are a little sloppy side to side rotationally and after playing awhile I occasionally have to twist them a touch to keep them moving fast.

7. adc

adc Mezzo Piano User

Jan 12, 2017
    Elizabethtown, Pa.
    Bummer. If you love the horn though. ..Might be worth investing in a valve rebuild.

8. Bflatman

Bflatman Forte User

Nov 27, 2008
    Manchester, England
    Conn 80a

It does everything asked of it, it looks beautiful, and it sounds wonderful.

There is not a day goes by without its beauty being commented on by audiences and spontaneous applause greets almost every melody played on it.

The valves are beyond compare and the valve action is loved by all who I allow to hold it and try them out. Even the slides are smooth sweet and a pleasure to use. This horn sounds great on classical, blues, jazz, and commercial.

It is transparent, encourages expression, and communicates emotion easily.

There is nothing more I want from a horn, it gives me immense pleasure and distributes smiles in abundance whenever it is played.

In short it is a bundle of joy. If they made a new one I would buy it in a shot, hands down. But does anyone need more than one such horn, I would have to choose between them, right now I simply grab my sweet sounding baby.

Can there be a perfect horn perhaps not but this wonderful horn must be as close to it as any one might dare to hope.

I could build a career on this horn.

9. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    "What is your favourite cornet?" - And like with every other instrument question, I have to ask "What for?"
    I have a Buescher long cornet, kindly donated by gordonfurr, which is perfect in a jazz or big band setting and which always goes out with me on such occasions. It can shine brightly like a trumpet and yet be gentle and mellow when required.
    In a British Brass Band setting, I still rely on my old 1960s Besson International, with a pre-1895 Besson mouthpiece. There is none better on the market - and I've tried many: Courtois, Stomvi (the copper bell Elite came nearest), Smith-Watkins, Eclipse, Sovereign, Prestige, Yammy Xeno... What I am to do when that rather beat-up cornet (stolen from me twice, and both times recovered) either gives up the ghost or is irrecoverably stolen or lost, I don't know. Lately, I've used it in the Vienna Klezmer Orchestra (www.klezmerorchester.at) for all pieces where the trumpet gives support to choral bits, and there, it can blend perfectly with the voices... almost flugelhorny...

10. adc

adc Mezzo Piano User

Jan 12, 2017
    Elizabethtown, Pa.
    Yea. I should have asked, "If you could have only one horn and makd no other changes, which horn would it be"

I guess for me it would be my '20 York PerfecTone