Cornet random questions

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, May 14, 2010.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Cornet random questions

Hi I bought a cornet (now just waiting for shipement, mmmm excitement grows!)

ok heres questions

1)It is used, lacquier fell here and there where hands are, around valves etc. Now I decided to strip all the lacquier and to leave raw brass. tell me how to strip the remaining lacquier and how to maintain raw brass, only polish or do I protect it with something else.

2) how does playing differ from tpt and flugel. I have both and flugel is generaly easier for me to play than tpt, and there noticeable is difference in response from the instrument. Tell me how will cornet feel more like tpt or more like flugel?

2. aucklander

aucklander New Friend

Apr 15, 2010
    Auckland, New Zealand
    I have comment for 2).. as I don't know how to maintain raw stuff.. for raw stuff I keep them in the fridge.. :p I have 6 instrument at presence, 2 cornet (1xBb, 1xEb) 4 trumpet (1x Bb Piccolo.. 3xBb standard trumpet)..

The flugel sound is wider, warmer and rounder (smoother), while cornet sound is generally brighter, shaper and crisper and thinner... The weight of the cornet is more easier to grasp than trumpet as the length of the trumpet tend to cause the arms to use more strength holding it in position.. The trumpet sound is smoother compare to the cornet.. and it may sound 'thicker'.. and with more backbone strength...

I hope that explains it.. haha..

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  3. gglassmeyer

gglassmeyer Piano User

Apr 28, 2006
    Cincinnati, OH
    a cornet will fall somewhere between the 2. cornet and flugelhorn both have conical bore (gradually get larger throughout the horn) where a trumpet's bore stays pretty much the same from the tuning slide until the bell.
    it will be more mellow than a trumpet and project less than a trumpet.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I think the opposite is true - the cornet has a smoother sound than the trumpet, and generally has a more rich sound, too. It has to do with how a cornet is played, though. Play one like a trumpet, with a trumpet-style mouthpiece, and it will sound pretty much like a trumpet.

5. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA
    frankmike,

Don't "overblow" the cornet, eventually find a suitable cornet (deeper) mouthpiece if needed. Read about/listen/observe cornet players (live or video) playing cornet vs trumpet.

The technique for cornet is different, but you can learn it and apply it to your cornet playing. There are similarities in playing cornet, trumpet and flugel (notes, fingering, etc.,) but there are marked differences, too. The information is "out there" and you can learn the differences and apply them.Have fun with your cornet when it arrives.

Hot water might take the remainder of the lacquer off and continued cleaning using hot water will help. It is the safest method to start - no caustic chemicals...dangerous fumes, etc. With horns left raw you should be careful of any sensitivity to your skin. There are methods to help prevent that, I believe?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  6. keehun

keehun Piano User

Feb 4, 2010
    Minnesota
    I'd have to second this comment.

7. dsr0057

dsr0057 Pianissimo User

Dec 20, 2009
    Denton, TX
    For number 1:

Sorry hot water will not just take the remainder of the lacquer off. You will have to get some kind of chemical to strip it off. Most shops use Airplane paint stripper which you can buy at any hardware store. (CAUTION: IT IS EXTREMELY ACIDIC AND BURNS THROUGH EVERYTHING BE CAREFUL IF YOU GO THIS ROUTE)

Another more safe option which most do it yourself people try is Easy Off Heavy Duty oven cleaner. It's works the same as the airplane stripper just much less caustic to you and your health.

So if you are daring and feel up to it I recommend the airplane stripper, however heed my warnings I have burn scars from it. Wear gloves and a mask and eye protection. If you don't feel comfortable go with the Easy Off Oven Cleaner. Make sure it is Heavy Duty; and make sure you plan on buying more than one can.

As always follow direction labels. :)

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Older lacquers will indeed come off in very hot water. Give it a try before resorting to more caustic methods.

I have used Easy Off Oven Cleaner successfully. It may darken the brass, but then polishing it with a good brass polish will take care of that. I have had the best results with Maas Matal Polish.

veery

9. lmf

lmf Forte User

May 16, 2007
    Indiana USA

ds0057.

You will note and did not claim chemicals weren't to be used, but trying hot water to remove lacquer should be tried first. Not everyone is able to use chemicals safely. The OP may be familiar with chemical lacquer removal or he may not?

Best wishes,

Lloyd

10. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    NO chemicals, thank you very much. I will try hot water (can I boil?) and maybe some sand paper.

Someone mentioned sensible skin, whats that all about?