Cornet Sound

Discussion in 'Horns' started by brassmouth, Dec 16, 2005.

1. brassmouth

brassmouth New Friend

Jul 10, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hi everyone. I know that, to bring out the true sound of a cornet, one needs to use a V-Style mouthpiece. I was wondering what company does this best. I am playing a Bach cornet with a Shepard's Crook, so now all I need is the right mouthpiece to complete my sound, equipment-wise. So if anyone has any experience with a mouthpiece that brought out the real sound of their cornet I'd like to hear about it. I've heard good things about Monette (that goes without saying), Dennis Wick, and various others. Thanks in advance.

2. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    I've found a great sound with the Sparx mouthpiece. It is much like the Dennis Wick in terms of cup shape and sound but has a more comfortable rim.

3. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

The cornet can sound sooooo different with the various "pieces" out there. IMHO, the death of the cornet came about when companies started trying to make their cornets sound like trumpets by putting trumpet-type long bells on 'em and selling them with trumpet-type, "C-shaped" mouthpieces. Some call this the Jazz. or "American" sound.

The somewhat deeper, rounded-V type mouthpieces like the Wick, (and more advanced Sparx give a wonderful "British" sound on a shepherd's crook cornet. This sound is mellower, but it still retains a tinge of brightness to the edge and is beautiful to hear.

My favorite sound on a cornet is made on a shepherd's crook cornet, but on a traditional mouthpiece like the kind once employed in America about 100 years ago. These have a very open backbore, huge "drill" size and really deep, straight-walled V mouthpiece. Many call 'em cookie cutters because of their narrow, sharp rims. The sound is almost like a fluglehorn, yet much more gentle, buttery and sweet . . . and it doesn't replace the flugle on the stage, but instead has a unique sound of its own!

(NOTE: modern makers have gotten rid of the cookie cutter rim though and you can now get a modern "comfort rim."). The best sounding one is the Flip Oakes series that is made with pretty radical V-cups and Bach Mt. Vernon rims.

My favorite one is an original though. It is made by the Boston Musical Instrument Company and came new with my 1911 Boston 3-Star cornet . . . a company famous for defining and refining the classic vintage cornet sound before the jazz age. The sound is so good that I might get someone to make copies of it someday so other folks can enjoy it! I use it on all sorts of gigs, including jazz and pop. Man, what a sound! I had it gold plated to give me the rim feel that I like.

Here it is:

[​IMG]

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

4. sparxIII

sparxIII New Friend

Nov 1, 2003
    Toronto ON Canada
    cornet sounds

You can hear the Sparx 2 and 2B -soloist- mouthpieces with a Bach 184L cornet @ www.sparxmusic.com. Check out the 'sound room' on the top right side.

Cheers,
    Ted

5. fundenlight

fundenlight New Friend

Aug 2, 2005
    I'm not sure if equipment is the cure all for cornet sound. When I started playing, I played on a cornet and I sounded like a trumpet. This was not an equipment issue. Think about it, here I was sitting with all these trumpets, listening to trumpet music... and you wonder what the sound in my head was? My cornet sound only developed after I started listening to actual cornet and could hear and describe the difference in sound. I use more or less a 3c for trumpet and a 1 1/2 for cornet. That's really the only difference other than the horns.
    By the way, same thing happened on C trumpet until I focused on what I want my C to sound like as opposed to my Bb. I think it's more of a mental thing.

6. mrfabulous963

mrfabulous963 Piano User

Nov 26, 2005
  7. Gilligan

Gilligan Pianissimo User

Aug 3, 2004
    Colorado Springs, USA
    Tom

Any chance you'll part with your mouthpiece long enough for Kanstul Music to make a good trace of it?? I'd love to have a chance to get one for myself?

Gill

8. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi,

That probably would be a great idea. The mouthpiece is wonderful. It is one of two Boston mouthpieces that came with my 3-Star. The other was, errrr . . . less than satisfactory.

I'll check into it, for the sound is authentic and incredible . . . and the rim very friendly . . . once one approaches playing the cornet as a cornet and not a trumpet!

For those who would like to hear the "vintage American" sound on newer music material, check out my post on pg. 2 of this link:

http://www.trumpetmaster.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6650&start=15

Sincerely,

Tom Turner

9. larry newman

larry newman Piano User

Dec 22, 2005
    North Tonawanda, NY, USA
    My Dennis Wick 2B has a nice mellow sound on the Blessing and the Amati...the Benge design is noted for mellowness on its own, but I have not blown it yet.

Dennis Wick is known for "real" cornet mouthpieces, as necessitated by British brass bands...the blokes there tell me they are as ubiquitous as baseball teams are here, with 3 tiers of competence.

a DW 2 is enormous...has a huge low sound...

10. brassmouth

brassmouth New Friend

Jul 10, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks for your replies everyone. I have about a month until I need it so I'll try out as many as I can. I am also looking at the Schilke Symphony Series Cornet mouthpieces. Does anyone hava any experience with these? (I'm starting to think I should have posted this in the Mouthpiece Forum.) Thanks in advance.