cornet tweaking

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by sleight, Dec 15, 2010.

1. sleight

sleight New Friend

May 20, 2010
    Can cornets be tweaked to play better, more effortlessly, or with richer sound? do valve alignments work? Is gap revision and mouthpipe matching relevent here? Anything else work?

2. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Your cornet may not have a "gap". Alignments work if you're not aligned.

You might try a deep, open, funnel piece; my Buescher 400 cornet with a Wick 3 mouthpiece sounds nearly flugel-like.

You may want to say what cornet you have and what mouthpiece and what you don't like about it today.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Cornet tweaks are more like practicing more as well as practicing very quietly. There is not as much pimping for better playing, but there sure is quite a bit when it comes to how the instruments look. Check the Vintage Horn part of TM. The correct term is "Eye Candy".

4. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    As far as I know, Rene Spada (Burgdorf, Switzerland) does some tweaking on Sovereigns, but never tried one. If you have an opportunity to go to Switzerland, check him out. SPADA MUSIC AG - Tonangebend im Trompetenbau He does a wonderful job on customizing and making Bach trumpets works better and some people on the forum will agree with me, and some wouldn't.

5. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    Your cornet may or may not have a gap; looking inside my Wild Thing short model and probing by feel, you might as well say it's nonexistent. Others may well offer the opportunity of adjusting the gap, or of switching to a more responsive or better tuned tuning bit if one is present. Beyond that, many of the usual trumpet tricks apply to cornet as well - valve alignments, removing excess internal solder, smoothing ill-fitting joints, using different weight valve caps or other weight-adding devices, having a good tech do a thorough cleaning and also check for excessive stress at the braces. The most obvious opportunity for improvement is usually the mouthpiece itself, though. It's also among the most reasonably priced improvements.

6. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Sure - there is a whole heap of options, ranging from "blueprinting" (i.e. checking that the horn was made with no excess solder or stress) to adjusting bracing, spot hardening parts of the bell pipe, tilting the bell, etc etc.

7. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    I annealed the bell of my Beuscher and removed the front S brace. I am doing special inlays on the finger buttons once I am over this flu that has put me out for the last 3 weeks.
    I also scratch brushed it, but that is not a performance tweak.

8. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    As Ivan and Breke pointed out, almost everything that can be tweaked on a trumpet can be done on a cornet as well (with the exception of a tuning bell, which is not availabe on short cornets, because of the bell crook) by most decent repairmans and instrument makers. However, some craftsmen are more experienced that the rest in leading a customer through the customisation choices (the usual suspects are people like Charlie Melk, Bob Malone, Rene Spada, Smith & Watkins to name just a few).