cornet valve

Discussion in 'Trumpet Repair and Modification' started by sleight, May 20, 2010.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I've just encountered an unusual circumstance with a second valve and that valve slide on a very old King trumpet that had been attic stored for years. The second valve would not move at all. Removing the slide, as seemed easy, the inner sleeve was seperated from the outer sleeve. Yep, the inner slide sleeve was jammed against the valve. With a rubber band wrap around that sleeve I was able to readily pull it loose with my fingers and the valve was freed. I don't note any real damage to the valve. I'll soon be packing it off to a tech for a total overhaul including borescope, ultrasound, and PVA. Outwardly, the lacquer seems near 90%+ and dent free. When put away in attic storage, the case and instrument had been wrapped in an old cotton sheet, thus the case is in great shape and I couldn't believe it but the case key was tied to the handle. Possibly by fall, I'll have another instrument ready for a young deserving student.

2. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Laying the horn on its right side when taking a break will distort the second valve slide and cause this damage VERY OFTEN. When laying any trumpet or cornet down flat it should always be on its left side.

OLDLOU>>