Cornet vs Flugel...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by geetarman, Oct 31, 2014.

1. geetarman

geetarman New Friend

Dec 28, 2013
    Hi, all.

I have a question for the forum here...
    At what point does a cornet stop being a cornet and start into flugel dimensions?
    If the length of the pipe is the same, and bore size is variable....
    aside from the mouthpiece, is there any real difference?

2. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    You can probably find any number of tubing variations that cloud the waters, but I think the biggest difference is bell flare and size.

On a lighter and less relevant note, cornet players are cooler and don't wear overly baggy pants.

3. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    The bugle family (flugels, euphs, tubas) are defined by (as close as feasible) a conical bore that increases in diameter at a constant rate along its length (think ice cream cone).

Cornets increase bore with a slow taper at first with the taper becoming gradually steeper.

Trumpets have an even slower taper incorporating a fair bit of cylindrical tubing.

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Yes

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    If you look how cornets are built and how flugels are built, you will see very little in common. The flugel has a short mouthpipe, very large bell and a large wrap with no "sharp" corners. A cornet has a very long mouthpipe is wrapped much tighter and is much more extensively braced. There is no gradual slide from cornet to flugel. The playing characteristics are completely different. There never is any confusion for those that play them.

I find the flugel has very low "focus" of tone. The cornet to me is the most elegant of brass instruments. It is a true soprano instrument, has character and grace, is extremely well suited for just about anything technical. It has none of the "ugliness" or brashness of a trumpet. It has very good focus to the tone. A true DIVA.

6. Franklin D

Franklin D Forte User

May 23, 2009
    The Netherlands
    Hmmm I have great respect for Rowuk, BUT...

I agree completely with the first part of his post about the differences between the flugel and the cornet.
    And I agree with the first part of the second statement, the low focus of tone of a flugel, reason enough for me to sell my Jupiter 846 and my Adams F1 flugels without ever looking back.
    But though I have 4 cornets and play them with some regularity (only for fun) I have to disagree with his hymn on the cornet, not because he is wrong but because of my love for the trumpet.
    I pamper the attitude of Chris Botti that one is not in need of a flugel because the same things are possible on a trumpet only if one is willing to invest the time and willingness.
    Same for the cornet and yes I love sometimes to play my 36A or 80A with a Curry BBC and enjoy the flexibility and sound but at the same time I love my trumpets more and will do anything to get rid of the "ugliness" and the "brashness" of the trumpet, mainly because I love the more powerful impact of the trumpet sound.