Cornet vs Trumpet method books

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, May 25, 2011.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    I have one of the basic Herbert Clarke method books for Cornet...not trumpet and cornet but cornet only. (I don't have the exact title right now, but it starts with all chromatics, moves on to drills in seconds, thirds, etc.) I'm thinking this should be ok for Trumpet too because the exercises appear to be generic.

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Only a charlatan would consider even playing a trumpet. Cornets are the only horn worth pursuing and turmpets are the devils work.

That out of the way, the method is the same for either horn.

3. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    +1

4. jiarby

jiarby Fortissimo User

May 7, 2011
    Arizona
    Herbert Clarke hated trumpets and thought they were a fad... He never wouldhave written a trumpet method!

The Clarke Technical Studies should be the 2nd book you buy. Arban 1st, then Clarke. Then wear the covers off them!

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Your instrument preferences are personal, but in these days and times ya gotta do what ya gotta do, and if that means playin' a trumpet or another hunk of brass y'gotta do it.
    Right now I just wanna play any brass horn, but I scared my cat with a fog horn blast on my conch this morning, something I've not been able to do for 2 years. No, not scare the cat as isn't that old ... make any noise on the conch. Today, I'll attempt some lower side chromatic slurs on my cornet using the Conn 4 mpc as came with it. Maybe next month I'll be able play a full chromatic scale from the first ledger line below the staff to the second ledger line above, its dogmatic in my mind that they are concert Cs, but to correlate transposition to the Bb instrument I know I should be playing Ds 2 semi-tones higher but I won't in this practice exercise.

6. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I did wear the cover off and lost several pages of my first Arban's, getting it waterlogged in a thunderstorm didn't help much, but now have replaced it with the Platinum Edition. Never got a Clarke's and don't believe I now need it.

7. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    http://www.cornetmaster.com doesn't work for me.

--bumblebee

8. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Interesting. It's his "Technical Studies for the Cornet". I think it's a reprint, but it's pretty old nonetheless. Copyrights on front page say 1912 and 1920 Clarke, 1934 Carl Fischer. Oldie but a goodie.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    There is no difference in regard to what we have to learn.

Cornet lost popularity compared to the trumpet everywhere except England and some of the colonies. Many modern school band arrangements only have trumpet parts. I can't remember the last show where I was required to bring a cornet.

10. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    Funny thing is you can still find band music scored for 3 cornet parts and 2 trumpet parts .... seems really strange to me