Cornet vs trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by jsclerus, Aug 8, 2008.

1. jsclerus

jsclerus New Friend

Aug 8, 2008
    Hello everyone,

I am quite new to the trumpet field. I am currently renting a trumpet (Conn 22b) while in the learning process. I have not yet decided whether to keep it (eventually buy it from the store) or pursue another. That brings me to this question: which instrument is easier for beginners to learn and play, the trumpet or cornet? I've read the trumpet is better for jazz, but I am more incline towards classical music. :-) Thanks!!

2. brunets

brunets Pianissimo User

May 28, 2007
    Gatineau,QC
    Hi,

That's funny because I almost started with a Conn 22B (actually had a Yamaha 2335 a few months just before buying the Conn trumpet).

The cornet is definitely easier than the trumpet. As for the music style, you shouldn't worry because both Jazz and Classical player are using cornet and/or trumpet.

I also own a cornet (a nice Getzen Capri that I really like - see my avatar ;) ).

Stéphane

3. trumpetnick

trumpetnick Fortissimo User

Nov 16, 2005
    Vidin, Bulgaria
    I must respectfully desagree. The technical base is absolutely the same. Given the fact, that cornets are traditionally played with deeper mouthpieces, it maybe considered even more difficult for a beginner than the trumpet. The reason for recommending often cornets to beginners/kids are 2:

1. The instruments are more compact, which makes holding it easier for people/kids with smaller hands.
    2. The minimum level of techincal command of the instrument required for Brass Bands is lower than playing trumpet part in a symphony orchestra, which makes kids/beginners road to social making music experience, which maybe a good way to motivate the young musician.

4. brunets

brunets Pianissimo User

May 28, 2007
    Gatineau,QC
    But if you compare apples with apples (e.g. same mouthpiece shape), Cornet should be easier.

Stéphane

5. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Why should it be easier? I thought conical-bore instruments should not slot as precisely, which woiuld seem to make the cornet more difficult. I know that I have played both trumpet and French horn (music minor and music scholarships on the French horn throughout college), and the trumpet was always a lot easier when it came to note accuracy. I have never played cornet though.

6. jsclerus

jsclerus New Friend

Aug 8, 2008
    I forgot to ask, are the mouthpieces and mutes used for trumpets interchangeable with the cornets? Thank you all for your responses. The reason I ask is that I already have two mouthpieces for my rental and a mute.

7. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England

Not really, i started playing on a cornet and i still do but i also have a trumpet which is by far the easier to play and it cost about £1000 less. Plus i use the same mouthpiece depths, kelly 7c (same as a bach 7c).

:play:

8. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England

The mouthpieces will be different shank sizes so you will need different mouthpieces for cornet and trumpet. Not that i work for kelly but try one, they are very innexpensive and very very good mouthpieces.

The mutes are the same i think, mine are interchangeable.

:play:

9. brunets

brunets Pianissimo User

May 28, 2007
    Gatineau,QC
    Horner:

I can trade my Getzen Capri with your Eterna if you want. ;-) I was able to improve faster by using my cornet rather than my trumpet.

Of course, if you want to play like Maynard Ferguson on your cornet, that might be the reason you find it difficult...

10. horner

horner Pianissimo User

Jul 19, 2008
    London, England

No thanks. I like my cornet but its more difficult than my trumpet in the higher register... the valves are beautiful though.