Cornet with trumpet receiver as travel horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rmavillarica, Sep 29, 2011.

1. rmavillarica

rmavillarica New Friend

Nov 14, 2009
    Hi guys,

I am not sure if this is in the right forum heading...

I am just starting out on the trumpet and have no experience on the cornet.

I would like to ask if it would be reasonable to have a trumpet receiver put onto a cornet to be used as a "travel horn." This is so I don't have to buy a cornet mouthpiece that matches my trumpet mouthpiece. Would the cornet behave similarly enough to use as a traveling horn? I have read here that the trumpet, cornet, and flugelhorn are all different beasts. Is there anything obviously wrong with such a setup? Which cornets behave/sound more "trumpet-like?" I guess the short cornets will be more portable, right?

Thanks in advance.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    If you're just starting out, carry your main horn with you when traveling, like almost all of us have done and still do. Once everything is stable with your playing, and say, you're trekking with a gig the day after you get back, a pocket trumpet has a trumpet receiver and takes up even less space than a cornet.

3. PatMurphy

PatMurphy Pianissimo User

Aug 9, 2009
    Cherry Hill NJ
    AMEN to that.
    Having a cornet that sounds like a trumpet is an awful idea.
    If you do that much traveling having a bulletproof trumpet case sounds like a good idea.

4. rmavillarica

rmavillarica New Friend

Nov 14, 2009
    Thank you for your replies.

I guess I shall scour ebay for a rougher Getzen Capri and pair that with a Protec Contoured trumpet case. The places we tend to visit are on the other (opposite) side of luxury, and I would prefer not to worry about my only trumpet.

5. ComeBackKid

ComeBackKid Fortissimo User

May 11, 2009
    Yorba Linda, CA
    There is the ideal world and then there is the real world. From what I can gather of your destinations (opposite side of luxury) there is more to your concern than simply transporting the trumpet. Even transporting is reason enough to consider how to optimize your baggage but later on storage, use, risk of theft or damage are all legitimate concerns. Yes, taking your main axe is probably good from the point of view of practice consistency while on the road but in light of your other concerns, that may not be the biggest issue.

From my viewpoint, playing a cornet (whether it sounds like a trumpet or not) is not a negative thing. We all want to become more rounded in our playing and have broader skills and experience. Cornets, flugelhorns, Piccolo trumpets, etc are all part of that expanded skill set (in their proper time). So, sticking to one trumpet in all conditions sort of hampers that broader experience.

To the extent that a decent cornet can be purchased for a very low price (well under $100) and a good pocket trumpet cannot be purchased for that (even finding one is a trick as threads here will demonstrate), a cornet is a reasonable solution to your issues and offers that additional experience. Unless you have a really unusual trumpet mouthpiece which cannot be duplicated - or is too expensive - then putting a trumpet receiver on a cornet really would not be necessary. Just find a cornet mouthpiece that works and go with that which is also part of the cornet playing experience. It will provide the continuity of practice and development - as well as opportunities to play in places that are the opposite of luxury.

I can switch back and forth between trumpet, cornet, flugelhorn (plus euphonium and trombone in my distant past) with completely different mouthpieces and not have any bad effects. So, it is really just a matter of familiarity and practice.

Just find an inexpensive cornet with a decent mouthpiece, take it along, and before long you won't even think about the difference when you go from one to the other. And, you will worry less about risk of loss.

Good luck on your travels and let us know what works out.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  6. ChopsGone

ChopsGone Forte User

Jan 26, 2009
    Northern California
    I guess I'll take a sort of contrarian position here. While I switch between mouthpieces and instruments all the time, if it really matters that much to you, you can definitely have a trumpet receiver put on a cornet. I know a very fine player here who has exactly that sort of setup, because he so liked to the mouthpiece he had long used on a trumpet that finally reached the point of not being fit to be overhauled again. It works just fine for him. He gets a great sound out of it; he's one of those guys who can do that with anything, though. If you decide to go this way, be sure to have the work done by a competent tech who's done this before, as he'll probably have to do a bit of trimming on the leadpipe.

For me, I prefer a deep V mouthpiece on a cornet, but I also lean that way on trumpet. I've been using the same cup on different backbores lately to switch between trumpet and cornet, and am perfectly happy with it. But it's a distinctly old-style deep V. The OP's mouthpiece might be available in a two-piece.

As far as inexpensive pocket trumpets go, I've found a couple of used ones in the under $100 range that have been worth keeping - a DEG Classic and a 1970's Imperial (from Taiwan) that I bought mostly because of who its prior owner was. They're more than adequate for travel practicing; they're not great instruments but they work well enough. I like my Dillon (Chinese-made) and my large-bell Carol (now CarolBrass; still the same horn) better, but they're out of that range.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2011
  7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I have put trumpet receivers on several cornets (US made Holton Collegiates etc.). They work fine. I will be putting some of these up for sale soon. PM me if you are interested.

8. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    I play on Warbuton mouthpieces, which have a separate backbore (stem) and mouthpiece cup that screw together. I have trumpet and cornet backbores, and switch the mouthpiece cup between my trumpets and cornets as needed. May not be cheaper, but it allows for consistency. That said, I think the idea of buying a backup horn off of e-bay similar to your main horn seems sound given your description of your travel. Whatever you decide, good luck!

9. vern

vern Piano User

Mar 4, 2008
    Michigan
    I would think putting a trumpet mouthpiece on a cornet defeats the purpose of having a cornet as the traditional cornet sound is largely due to the traditional (V-cup) mouthpiece.

10. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Young beginners have a much easier time holding a cornet than a trumpet. Having a trumpet mouthpiece receiver makes it a lot easier to provide them with mouthpieces, especially in a school situation.