Cornet with trumpet receiver as travel horn

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by rmavillarica, Sep 29, 2011.

1. nieuwguyski

nieuwguyski Forte User

Aug 9, 2004
    Santa Cruz County, CA
    Tell that to Yamaha -- their "artist series" C cornet has a trumpet receiver:

YCR-9435 - Cornets - Brass/Woodwinds - Musical Instruments - Products - Yamaha United States

The concept doesn't offend me. I've spent lots of time playing cornet with a shallow mouthpiece, and owned a DeNicola "Puje" for a time.

2. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    As a former LEO, and also bounced around a few spots playing an instrument, its tough to say but having with you a lesser instrument in a contour casemay lessen your loss but attract the hit and run theft of your instrument just as much as if it were your more expensive one. Also, the hit may have the consequence of you laying in the hospital ... if not the morgue. Such is exactly why I decided I would not scratch and crawl such venues playing music in the pursuit of the meager pay hoping to climb the ladder to fame. It is just coincidence that I had a career as LEO, so to speak on the top side of such criminal activity, but such is exactly why LEOS have become necessary in our lives. There are those who will rob and steal for very little. Some just to get enough for one fix of illegal narcotics. Even a less expensive instrument has the potential to sell for enough to get this on the street. The chance of recovery of an instrument is IMO are about nil as such incident reports have about the lowest case priority by all LEO agencies if bodily harm is minimal. About the only viable usage I know of for serial numbers is for research of an instrument date of manufacture. There is no international data base that tracks current true ownership by serial numbers, even for the VIN of vehicles. In America the program once touted even by LEOs of inscribing social security numbers on items of value, today is now being questioned as to an encroachment of one's identity.

3. rmavillarica

rmavillarica New Friend

Nov 14, 2009
    Thank you for all the replies!

I am a bit more confused now...

Ivan, I was actually thinking of buying a beater horn on ebay and having it sent to you directly to have some work done on it. Would this be OK?

I guess I should stay away from contoured cases in order to look as inconspicuous as possible.

Thanks again!

4. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Certainly. CHeck your PM

5. rmavillarica

rmavillarica New Friend

Nov 14, 2009
    Hi Ivan,

I just received the cornet. It took a while to get over to me in the Philippines. Thank you for the nice cornet that plays better than I do. I have already used in the car while waiting for my wife...

And thank you for the extras!

6. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    I know this is mostly an old thread, but the question of using a trumpet mouthpiece on a cornet is not that far-fetched. Thousands of people do it every day when they use a Bach 7C cornet mouthpiece on their cornet. Most all the Bach (and Schilke, etc.) standard cornet mouthpieces are really just trumpet rims and cups on cornet shanks.

7. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    Exactly!

I have put trumpet receivers on cornets because it is often easier to find a trumpet mouthpiece than a cornet mouthpiece.

8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Cornet mouthpieces are easy to find if you know where to look...:D ...but I can see the reasoning to mod a cornet (common student-level ones) to take a trumpet mouthpiece, too, especially if a cornet version of the mouthpiece isn't available.

9. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Got one of Ivan's conversions and doesn't sound anymore like a cornet or like a trumpet, but it plays well. Just think it is restricted to solo playing. Tried about my whole line-up of trumpet mouthpieces.

10. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Ivan, I suspect you've plenty of your own cornet mouthpieces, but where you've hidden or packed them away may be a problem for you.

Still, here in the U.S. acquisition should not be a problem. I don't keep mine in instrument cases but can turn and eyeball all 6 of them on the shelf, well not all six but I know the others are behind the one I see. There are three rows of trumpet mouthpieces with two here in front of me as I'll ship to Doug and one in your modified cornet on a stand behind me. I've got 3 each of baritone, trombone, euphonium mpcs, 6 1/2 AL and 12C including my DEG Delrin cupped one, two tuba / Sousaphone mpcs and 1 Farkas French horn mpc, plus my Larry Kerchner IYM mpc for my mellophone. I've no problem with my inventory ... yet.
    Oh yes, I've a Kelly 5C trumpet mpc in my fanny pack along with my Buzzzmaster & P.E.T.E.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012