Cornet wrap styles

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by contempora, Oct 24, 2005.

1. contempora

contempora New Friend

Jan 17, 2005
    Burnsville, MN
    All,

I'm a low brass player looking to learn a little more about small brass - this time a question about cornet wrap styles.

In my research on Reynolds instruments, I can see that the Contempora / Argenta / Professional cornets all have a wrap coming out of the mouthpipe that wraps around the bottom of the valve assembly and enters the third valve on the performer's left side (this is based on the King Master design, I believe). In contrast, the Emperor / Roth / Medalist cornets all have a wrap style that loops back up and enters the third valve on the performer's right side.

All the relevant pics here: http://www.contemporacorner.com/cornets.html

Are these standard wrap designs? Is there a discernable playing difference that makes one design more appropriate for students than experienced players? Finally, am I correct in assuming that regardless of the wrap design, these are all long-bell cornet designs?

I appreciate your patience and look forward to learning more.

ElShaddai

2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi Elshaddai,

Sorry for not responding yet to your PM on this issue. Frankly, I'm really not sure why the wraps vary on cornets within the Reynolds line.

There are so many reasons . . . crazy things like changing vendors for making valve bodies on more economical horns (thus requiring a different wrap) . . .

Things like the economy horns being made at a different plant, or on different machines . . .

Things like maybe a desire to create a different "blow" for a different target market . . .

Things like new management coming in and developing new models the way THEY want 'em to be, vs. the "old" way. . .

Things like keeping costs down . . .

Gosh, I don't know. The finest Reynolds cornets seem to be evolutions of the W.H. White wrap that Foster Reynolds helped 'em invent earlier in Forster's life . . . and the Emperor seems to have adopted a more (at the time) "modern" long cornet wrap vs. the H. N. White (King Master) wrap.

HOPEFULLY, someone will chime in with the real reason . . . a reason that may be, sadly, lost to the ages.

"Old Geezer" who posts here once worked making high brass instruments for York. Hopefully he'll see this and chime in!

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful or definitive!

Warmest regards,

Tom

3. contempora

contempora New Friend

Jan 17, 2005
    Burnsville, MN
    Thanks for the reply, Tom, I do appreciate it.

The crazy thing is that Foster Reynolds actually used yet a third wrap design on the "Regent" cornet that he produced under the Ohio Band Instrument label. That was at the same time he was making the original F.A. Reynolds horns. The Ohio Band design has a short amount tubing leading straight into the third valve, then a "S" design coming out of the first valve and into the bell. Pics here.

4. toddbaer

toddbaer New Friend

Jan 15, 2009
    I have this cornet...just bought it at a local music store. It was the best playing used horn there. Although, I thought it was a trumpet at the time. Here's a pic of me trying it out in the store.