Cornetists???

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by PhatmonB6, Jun 25, 2005.

1. PhatmonB6

PhatmonB6 Mezzo Piano User

Jan 16, 2005
    Minnesota
    Is that even a word? Because of your position I figured this would be the best place to post this. In HS band I was the only one in the trumpet section that played a cornet from 7th to 12th grade...marching band and jazz band included. Back then my mindset was a cornet is a trumpet is a trumept is a cornet. It did not matter, the fingerings were all the same. Of course over the years I have found that to be not true....When I listend to Maynard, Doc, Herb, I was listening to what all the other players listend to, never to Cornetists(there's that word again), I have just recently started doing research on some:
    Del Staigers
    George Swift
    Jimmy Burke
    Windfred Kemp
    Allesandro Liberati
    I have heard some mp3 clips of these guys and even though the sound quality is not the best you can still make out there playing. Unbelievable, it reminds me of Paganini on the violin, kind of like there never will be any one quite like this. I also heard there was a player that had a deformed right arm and did all his fingering with his left, I dont even know if he is included in the list I posted above. These guys sound like they were the real deal...Are there any cornetists today that would be comparable to these guys. :?:

2. Cornet1

Cornet1 Pianissimo User

May 22, 2005
    Essex, England
    My copy of 'The Concise Oxford Dictionary' has both 'cornet' and also "...(ist), its player.."...thats good enough for me!

"...........Are there any cornetists today that would be comparable ..."

Roger Webster.....'Black Dyke Band'
    Richard Marshall....'Grimethorpe British Coal Band'
    Phillip McCann.....'Sellers Engineering Band'/'Leyland Band'
    Russel Gray
    Kirsty Abotts.......'Sellers Engineering Band'
    Alan Morrison.....Grimethorpe etc.
    The Great Maurice Murphy....Black Dyke Mills Band'/'London Symphony Orch.
    Jim Shepherd (retired)......'Black Dyke Mills Band'
    David Read (retired)......'GUS Band'
    Finally, The Great, The Unrivalled, Derek Garside (retired)....'CWS Manchester Band'

Some (not me) would say; David Daws.....Ex Enfield Citadel S.A. Band.

And quite a lot more!

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Add anything by Warren Vache to your list. Perhaps not in the "brass band" tradition but he sure has a handle on that horn.

4. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA
    I play exclusively small group jazz, and I haven't touched my trumpet in over five years. The cornet works perfectly for me in that situation.

GO CORNETS!!! :D

5. Bourbon City

Bourbon City Pianissimo User

Jun 8, 2004
    Indianapolis, Indiana
    Hey Loweredsixth,

I play the ML version of your Bach cornet. I bought it new six or seven years ago. I am not pleased to play it except on third parts. When I play above the staff, the sound and many of the notes above second line A go away. Do you have this problem or is my problem like Bach Trumpets; not all are equal?

My friends 1970's Getzen Eterna 800 Cornet sores with the eagles when I play it. I want my Bach to play like the Getzen. Therefore I am having my Bach Getzenized. It is becoming a Bachzen as we speak (as I type). Tootsall you'll remember my post from a different Forum.

I am having the lead pipe and tuning slide (complete to the third valve casing) from Getzen's new 3850 Professional Cornet installed on my Bach. I am having the trigger removed and a thumb hook installed. All will be in nickel and raw brass. I'm excited. I should get it back next week sometime.

How does your Bach play?

6. loweredsixth

loweredsixth Pianissimo User

Mar 11, 2005
    Fresno, California, USA

My Bach plays okay. I do not have the upper register problems you are having, but in general my horn feels too tight (even though I got the large bore.) There are some funky pitch problems as well.

I am very much looking forward to having enough money to buy a Flip Oakes Wild Thing American Cornet. That should be some time this summer!

7. Lance Asparagus

Lance Asparagus New Friend

Feb 1, 2005
    Mr. Burke is the cornet soloist who had the deformed right arm. My teacher is Dr. James Klages who was a student of James Burke. Dr. Klages was the first directly contracted cornet soloist of "the President's Own" Marine Band. I know what you mean in discovering the ability those players held. I feel that Dr. Klages is among the greats, as his level of ability is up there with the greats like Staigers and Clarke. Within I think the past 10 years he was diagnosed with Multiple Scleosis, and while it affected him greatly in the beginning, here recently he has been recovering greatly through treatment with a certain kind of chiropratic aid. What he can do with the horn is more than amazing. Here is a link talking about Mr. Burke : http://www.jfbcornet.com/discography.htm

8. wiseone2

wiseone2 Artitst in Residence Staff Member

Nov 19, 2003
    Brooklyn,NY
    I played second trumpet to Jimmy in a performance of the Verdi Requiem with the Trenton Symphony. He played a gold-plated cornet. It was mellow at times, and really quite brilliant other moments. The rapid tonguing sections of the Requiem were played as clean as a whistle. He was an unbelievably kind person to the wise guy sitting next to him :D
    Wilmer

9. MalinTrumpet

MalinTrumpet Pianissimo User

Nov 7, 2004
    New York City
    Cornetists

Hey:

We have a wonderful cornetist in New York His name is Phillip Smith-an awesome cornet soloist. I've heard him play cornet many times.

Larry Malin

10. trumpet blower88

trumpet blower88 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 15, 2005
    Flagstaff, AZ
    I've been told that Wayne Bergeron has recorded many of his albums on a Kanstul Cornet, even though he is creditted to playing on a Yammaha or what ever his sponsorship is...