Cornets and student learners - why are they so disregarded?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by motteatoj, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
  2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Trumpets have become the norm now and as mgcoleman pointed out, most new music has "trumpet" on it. Trumpets are valuable in jazz band, especially when saxophones with metal mouthpieces are used and big bore trombones. For a beginner, cornet is fine, especially when the price is right.

Bravo, Motteatoj, for what you are doing!

3. motteatoj

motteatoj Mezzo Forte User

Feb 23, 2013
    Tuckahoe, NY
    For an instrument no one wants...there sure are a lot of them out there.
    I would think getting music to kids would be more important than what a piece of sheet music says.

I do certainly understand the plight of band directors trying to control chaos, but still, for the elementary and even middle school levels, would it really matter?
    Do band directors get kickbacks from instrument rental programs? Not making an accusation of any kind, just wondering.

4. dBeav

dBeav Pianissimo User

May 1, 2013
    Detroit Area
    I think it's just a matter of logistics for many of them. Rental deals usually include some maintenance and repairs so it's one less thing for the director to have to worry about (as much). If all the kids have the same horn it helps to reduce peer pressure issues as well I would think.

5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Here in the boonies a competent brass instrument tech is non-existent and I honestly can not think ill of such for there isn't the business around to justify setting up shop here about. As for cornets, Ivan (trumpetsplus) modified a Holton collegiate cornet with a trumpet mouthpiece receiver that I bought from him for $100 plus shipping. I'm not declaring it has the tonation of either, but it plays well enough to be my "beater" that goes for a ride everywhere I go now. I think I made some fishermen a bit angry that I'd been playing in what was their fishing spot even though they were just arriving. I just left without making a scene. The sun was beginning to get hot anyway. The day I've the evidence that a band director is taking a kick back from an instrument distributor will be the day my lawyer will file the criminal complaint against the band director, the distributor and the manufacturer and I'll do so amicus curia on behalf of the community.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  6. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Depends where you are and what kind of bands are most prolific. In the UK for instance, there are loads of cornets and cornet players because of the popularity of brass bands. 'Course, there are other kinds of instrument snobbery here.

I just bought an old American Conn cornet that has a great trad-jazz tone and plays a treat. Cornets rock!

7. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    Thanks for mentioning the cornet/trumpet issue. It's a fact that most great trumpet players started on cornet - even Maurice André won his first ever prize on a cornet. And if you look at the typical brass learner with a trumpet - embouchure at a sharp angle, trumpet almost vertical, sometimes (when playing seated) the bell resting on the knees... the cornet is the better choice due to better balance. However, where a brass band culture does not exist, peer pressure and outright bullying is a serious issue. My stepson started on a Yammie shepherd's crook cornet and is doing extraordinarily well on it; but he lost almost all interest in going to his group lessons because all the other guys were pelting him with stupid sayings like "Oh, your trumpet got into the hot wash, and shrunk..." or even "You're such a baby, to play a baby trumpet...". We had to counter that and got him a well-used, but well-preserved Jupiter 606 and, to make him the star in the group, we had the hooter refurbished and relacquered in midnight blue, with the bell inside, the braces and the receiver silver-plated. We spent about $ 100 on the hooter itself and another $200 for the whole refurbishment, and he is now super happy - played his first concert with the "Brassini" band of his music school a few days back.
    So - every medal has a few sides to it, not necessarily only two.

8. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    ROFL

Kids can be so cruel!

9. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Sorry rank I love the joke there but not the bullying

10. robrtx

robrtx Mezzo Forte User

May 26, 2012
    Hawaii
    A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to see the Salvation Army NY Staff Band here in Hawaii during their recent tour. What a treat! An amazing group of brass musicians and not a trumpet in the bunch (only cornets and a flugel, percussion, low brass, per Brass Band tradition)!

I think that if more folks had the opportunity to see quality traditional Brass Bands such as the NYSB, there would be a better understanding/acceptance and appreciation of the cornet.