Cornets and student learners - why are they so disregarded?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by motteatoj, Jun 13, 2013.

1. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I was never a band director, but I later in life I did have a friend who was slightly older than I and a former band director. Never got around to the kick-back question, but we did discuss cornets falling out of fashion. He blamed the music stores. He said that when he started most music stores provided cornets for lease/purchase. So you ended up mostly cornet players and you hoped for a couple of trumpet players to "balance the sound" (his words not mine). Eventually, the music stores started pushing trumpets and eventually quit offering cornets at all. On a secondary note--I have a very good friend who owns a music store in the midwest--he told me that the better high school bands in his area have started providing professional level cornets (usually Yamaha) for their top trumpet players to play during Concert Season. Both these stories are from the Mid-West--the first from the early 70s the later is current--so maybe the cornet isn't as far gone as it might seem.

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    There are slight differences between SA bands and Brass Bands but I despair at the way people (teachers, band directors) ignore these wonderful instruments).

3. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    So what does it matter what the music is printed for, a cornet can play trumpet music as well as vice versa. Too, just try and keep it away from a clarinet player.

4. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Do you find they are ignored over here too?

5. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    According to my 8yo daughter last summer, "[A] cornet is a girl's trumpet!!" So naturally, this summer she's on my '55 Custom Built trumpet & her twin brother is still on my '47 400 cornet.

Whatever the rhyme or reason is for the discrimination, the bottom line should be music. ;-)

6. Driving Park

Driving Park New Friend

May 31, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    My northern Virginia middle school had (and still has) all of its trumpet players on silver Yamaha professional cornets, and it worked great.

The thing I don't understand about the (logical until after this paragraph) argument that since all music is marked Bb Trumpet nowadays band directors think it best to use trumpets, in my high school and even middle school experience there were 3 cornet parts and 2 trumpet parts or just 3 cornet parts more than just trumpet parts due to the literature we played (lots of cornet parts in older wind band rep), but we used all trumpets even though the high school had a set of 7 pristine silver Bach Strad shepherd's crook cornets (not to mention that most of the students had just come from the middle school where they played on cornets so it's not like they were unfamiliar with it). Worse, we played one modern piece (James Barnes' Third Symphony) with 3 cornet parts, 2 trumpet parts and 2 flugelhorn parts - explicitly marked - and even though the school owns plenty of professional trumpets, 7 professional cornets and 2 professional flugelhorns, the parts were all played on trumpets. :thumbdown:

7. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    Definately Rank Amatuer. Unless you are lucky enough to be around the brass band world yes School Peripatetics seem concentrate on three brass instruments Trumpet, Trombone and French Horn. Actually with scant regard to what the kid wants to play. I believe it is in this because the cornent is not seen as a professional instrument, ie you can't go into a pro orchesta in this country and you know how this country is about exams and education for jobs not for life skills.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    I still play most of my brass instruments from piano music transposing for whatever, just as I learned to do when most had to do so during WWII, scrounging (borrowing) the piano music from the community. Fortunately, for marches and more our instrumental instructor / director had acquired a massive collection of Sousa music from having played with a Sousa band, and as such also included music from many other composers and the National Anthems of many other countries which the Navy had directed him to acquire. Well, the long story is that I added to such from my Mother's and Grandmother's piano and organ collections and I've continued to add to it from estate sales and thrift stores and occasionally have purchased the movie or stage musicals from regular music stores to the point that I'm about overwhelmed.

9. BachStrad1

BachStrad1 Pianissimo User

Apr 9, 2012
    Kalamazoo MI
    Just had a conversation along these lines with a young gentleman in the summer community band I play in. He asked why there were separate parts for trumpet and cornet (we were playing our annual Sousa-palooza concert). I explained the physical and sound differences and the historical differences in composition to him as well. It does remain that for most purposes, cornet and trumpet can be used interchangeably. I think that trumpet has a much greater popularity simply because many cornets have a "stuffy" feel. I liken it to having a mystery sock hidden somewhere inside. Every Yamaha sheperd's crook cornet I've played feels this way to me. The young man agreed with me on the Yamaha as he used to have one, but sold it because he didn't like it for that very reason. On the other hand, he loved my Martin Committe, which I had allowed him to play at an earlier rehersal. In this day and age, educators have barely time to teach youngsters the basic pedagogy of playing their instrument, and the history and little ephemeral things go by the wayside. This is why I play in this particular band, is to give guidance and mentorship to the primarily younger performers that comprise it. In concert band, our director has a great fondness for British composers and as a result, we often actually play cornet for certain selections because that is what the comoposer clearly intended (Grainger for example). IMHO, there is nothing more beautiful than the sweet sound of a cornet solo rising soulfully from the middle of the band. It is a sound that just cannot be duplicated by a trumpet.

10. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'd diasgree slightly there BachStrad, much as I adore cornets the soulfull sound of a flugel beats it for me