Cornets and student learners - why are they so disregarded?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by motteatoj, Jun 13, 2013.

1. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I'm the same I adore the cornet and think there are great benefits for the younger starter to start with one. To my mind there should be a move towards teaching both instruments and allowing students to explore the beauty of each one.

2. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    One other item I believe to be fueling the impression of the cornet being a nothing but an entry-level alternative to the trumpet is the imbalance of exposure by the those students and their parents to cornets in comparison to trumpets (a self-fulfilling prophecy). Many times, if not all the time, those younger students and their parents will see only cornets in rather degraded states of repair and likely never hear the truly beautiful and distinctly different sound capable from a quality cornet. They only hear entry-level players trying to play trumpet music on beat up student cornets.

coolerdave likes this.
  3. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I never considered that one before ... highly likely as well

4. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    So we have identified a problem with the perception of cornets now the really big question, what can be done about it?

5. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    welllll ... fastest way is to have a commercial hit played on a cornet ... sort of what Chuck Mangione did for the flugel

6. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    That make's sense Coolerdave, so who can we con into playing a conn for an international hit, without calling the damn thing a trumpet, cos it will happen. (That's one of the things that really annoys me about "Brassed off" the line "It's a Fugel Horn, oh Trumpet" Why?

7. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    It's worse than that. 'Andy' refers to his tenor horn (that's alto horn to everyone else) as a 'trumpet' too, in a way that no brass band player ever would! The euphonium player's wife refers to that instrument as a 'trumpet' too. Then again, a championship band would be playing test pieces and playing on far better instruments than the battered, old flugel and the trombone that falls to pieces during play. I suppose it's to make it palatable for non-band people.

8. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    I think Tara Fitzgerald was there do do that.

9. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    I was there!

10. Cornyandy

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    And did she?:dontknow: