Cornets and student learners - why are they so disregarded?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by motteatoj, Jun 13, 2013.

1. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Absolutely! But not with me. :-(

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    You know the film starts with "Death or Glory" I was asked to play rep as a dep believe it or not it was so slow I didn't recognise it.

3. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    I offer two solutions (surely there are many others):
    1) Next time you have a gig where a cornet should be or can be substituted, do it!
    2) Brass bands (real brass bands, that is). Find one, join one, talk it up, invite people to concerts, etc.

4. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    We've just done a lot of joking but one thing I find is that I am much more dextrous on a cornet, my fingers seem to work waaay quicker, now whether that is just familiarity I don't know but it is interesting (to me anyway)

5. GordonH

GordonH Mezzo Forte User

May 15, 2005
    Scotland
    Like Andy, everyone round here learns on cornet UNLESS they attend a fee paying school. Those only teach orchestral brass - and lots of kids in Edinburgh are at these schools. It is one reason why we don't have much of a brass band tradition in this city.

People who learn cornet often go on to study cornet at Huddersfield or Salford. Other people switch to trumpet and got to Manchester, London or Glasgow.

I prefer cornet, but my trumpets tend to have a cornety feel to them. I choose them to have a similar blow.