Cornetto Multiphonics

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Apr 26, 2013.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I have been using the vocal multiphonics technique with the cornetto, it seems to be very effective with the instrument. The shorter pipe seems to behave something like a megaphone, and the instrument is quiet enough as it is. I am thinking that these instruments were meant to be played this way.

2. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Have you made any recordings of your multiphonic playing? Would like to hear them. I've been trying to make some vaguely musical/usable multi-noises. I found it fairly easy to sing (?) and play at the same time on the short piece of tube and mouthpiece that I keep in my car, but it's harder to kick off and sustain multis on a real horn. I like the cool effects that you get as the voice approaches the frequency of the horn and the notes heterodyne together and chop up the sound.

tj

3. Rapier

Rapier Forte User

Jul 18, 2011
    UK
    You want multi phonics? Listen to Fnugg Blue on you tube. Granted it's on a tuba, but pretty impressive anyway.

Baadsvik plays Fnugg Blue - YouTube
    Nov 17, 2006 - Uploaded by Øystein Baadsvik
    Baadsvik plays Fnugg Blue. Øystein Baadsvik·5 videos. SubscribeSubscribed ...

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
  5. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Now I know why with COPD that I sold my tuba. Shucks, COPD had nothing to do with it ... I just never was able to play a tuba as well.