Cornetto Practice

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by SmoothOperator, Mar 4, 2013.

1. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I have been back at the cornetto again. I'll write a little about it. I think one of the most rewarding aspects is being able to feel the instrument centering the tone itself, which is much subtler than a trumpet. One thing I have noticed between an acorn type and a trumpet type mouthpiece, is that the tone for the trumpet type seems much more subdued and mellow, which I wasn't expecting. I expected the smaller mouth piece to color the tone more. Anyway, I think practicing a trumpet mouthpiece on a cornetto is good tone practice for the trumpet, I can hear more of the sounds the lips are making. One thing I am wondering is if there are any (easy)song books specifically for cornetto.

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I always liked the little German duet books for recorders, period stuff (and with some tunes playable by natural trumpets) and mostly in C major. I've small hands and even on the cornetto muto the forked fingerings are a pain. My experience was that I sounded like a tunable bell trumpet without the bell, and I'm sure the music world is happy I don't play cornetto in public.

3. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Mezzo Forte User

Jul 14, 2010
    I am trying for the four valve piccolo trumpet pedal tone sound. With the smaller mouthpiece, natural fundamental and fewer enharmonics, it seems a parallel.