Correct Breathing Help

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by austin2118ace, Jul 15, 2014.

1. austin2118ace

austin2118ace New Friend

Mar 2, 2014
    Hello.

I recently upgraded my trumpet to a Jupiter CXL series. This instrument has a larger bore than my last, and in turn I push more air through it.
    I have found it more difficult to play longer on the breaths I used to take, and was wondering if you guys could help me with pushing the amount of air I can hold.
    I know you are supposed to breathe out of your stomach, as to not raise your shoulders or anything when you inhale, but I have problems with that. Any and all help will be appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Austin

2. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    Forget the bore size. Large bore trumpets need no more air for a given volume of sound than any other. If anything, my personal experience is that they may take a little less, but there are many factors involved.

Until you get your breathing sorted out, it doesn't matter much what instrument you are playing. A guy called Rowuk will have some wise words to say on this. My advice is pay good heed :-)

3. Bill Dishman

Bill Dishman Piano User

Nov 22, 2003
    Gainesville, Florida
    Look into some Arnold Jacobs material on the internet.

Best advice I ever had on breathing (inhalation an exhalation) and improved my playing immediately.

Don't worry about bore size. Air does not go into the stomach.

See Arnold Jacobs stuff about what is really happening when we breath.

Best of luck to you...

Bill Dishman
    Gainesville, Florida

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    At a glance, this is probably the main source of the issue - "I recently upgraded." Out of curiosity, how old/experienced are you, what horn did you come off of, and how long have you been playing this one? It can take weeks to acclimate to a new trumpet. When I switch off of the Bach to my current Schilke, I loved the trumpet for a few days. Then I hated it and had some interesting intonation issues, as well as blow issues. About the time I thought I had really made an expensive blunder I came around to it. That was a process that took 5-6 weeks. At the time I don't think I was practicing as regularly as I am now, so I probably could have reduced the acclimation time somewhat with a practice regimen designed to get me through that acclimation process.

It's probably not a bore size issue, or an air issue - it could very well be that you just aren't used to the new horn yet. You might be overblowing it because you want to hear that big open sound of the new horn. Just keep practicing and working your fundamentals - particularly long tones - and you should be better than you were before within a month.

My thought is that

5. austin2118ace

austin2118ace New Friend

Mar 2, 2014
    Hi All,
    Thanks for the advice, I will put it to use.
    In reply to Trickg,
    I am a freshmen this year, I have been playing for three years, I am having general embouchure and intonation problems from getting my braces removed, but I continued to breathe as I did before.
    When I first started my parents were reluctant to buy me an instrument in case I decided trumpet was not right for me, which I didn't :), so we cheaped a little bit and bought a $100 dollar instrument from wwbw.com After much pestering I finally got my parents to upgrade me. And we actually found the gold trim version of the trumpet for only 1000 dollars in perfect condition, and I am pleased with it.

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Ah - yeah, I think you are having basic acclimation issues, not breathing issues specifically, although at just 3 years in and a Freshman in HS, I'd go out on a limb and say that your breathing is not yet what it's going to be if you keep after it. So keep after it and enjoy that new horn! :-)