Correct Embouchure?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Dec 25, 2013.

1. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hello,

Can someone take some pictures of how to make the Embouchure? I cant seem to find anything. Can you also explain what exactly you are doing... in detail. May help. Conservatorium does not open till middle of january and I want to start now to get it right. I know I can play up to Top line F. But I can only play a song like for 5 min and those notes become dead and not possible to play. Figured Im doing something wrong.

My lips are tight, I kinda roll the bottom one in so I dont get the air pocket happen under the bottom lip, but then it all gets sore and cant play much?

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Sorry, Gxman, but teaching you how to form your embouchure over the internet is akin to teaching you to swim or ride a bicycle. What you might want to check out is the following: Yamaha trumpet artist Greg Spence offers you trumpet books free video trumpet lessons how to play the trumpet demonstrations articles the world's first trumpet eBook for beginner trumpet players who are learning how to play the trumpet this online tr

The pedagogy, from what I've seen is sound, and no snake oil stuff.

3. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    There is no "Correct Embouchure". There is only the embouchure that works for you. I would suggest that before experimenting on your own, get yourself a teacher that can look at you while you are playing and can then offer helpful suggestions. Or you might do a video of yourself playing and post it so all TMers can advise.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I have no problem with the "puckered smile" of Farkas or in Quinque's "corners to the eyeteeth" approach. It is just that, an approach, just as a compass pointing north may give direction but not the path. Your embouchure should be defined by the music you make.

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Highly personal and hugely important topic for every player, Gxman. This video series may provide some useful insight:Trumpet Lesson #1 - Air and Embouchure - YouTube.
    Good luck.

Jim

6. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    What do you guys say about this idea of pushing lips towards mouthpiece rather than stretching the top lip to vo up to 4th space Es, Fs, G above staff etc

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HatvvpozdRo

i find as i go up i tighten the top lip by stretching it to go up. I can play up to G above staff. I can play 2 verses of amazing grace in church or how great though art. After that no chance playing Top line F anymore. Thats 5min of playing only. Even the 4th space E becomes hard. This is how its been for 3 years. Is that because tightening top lip though allows me to go up easier it sacrifices endurace.

on other hand pushing lips in so to speak as in video, i cant even reach 4th space E. So i just dont get it.

7. tjcombo

tjcombo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Any changes that you make to your embouchure will most likely take you backwards before you see an improvement. Do you have a teacher or an more experienced player that can help you?

FWIW, I found the Greg Spence videos mentioned by Vulgarno Brother to be useful along with the Maggio Complete System for Brass (widely available as a pdf) both advocate puckering up - but it's a matter of taking the bits that work for you from all of the inputs.

There are a lot more knowledgeable people on this forum than me, but my 2 cents is to suggest that your apparent focus solely on your lips and the aperture they form is part of the problem. Yes, the way you pucker up (or not) is important, but so is the way you breath, supply air and support the air supply and the path you form for the air with your tongue. It's likely that you're tightening your lips to an extent that won't let air through at all.

Just wondering if you're totally happy with the sound you make in your comfortable range - say from C below the staff to C on the staff? Are you relaxed, playing with minimal pressure, getting a decent sound - from very soft to loud? If not, you should look to get this right as a foundation to playing higher notes.

You may find this video by Nick Drozdoff on practicing long tones useful Long Tones - Sotto Voce - YouTube

8. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I really encourage you to have a session with a good teacher, Gxman. Even a single session could save you a great deal of time and frustration. If face-to-face sessions are difficult for you, there are Skype lessons available from many excellent teachers, several of whom are TM members and contributors. Pucker, mouth corners, top/bottom distribution, centering, pressure, mouthpiece suitability, breathing - all of these and more are highly significant and missteps can lead to bad habits that can take years to overcome. Good luck.
    Jim

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    This should not be happpening. Something is very wrong, and doing it this way for 3 years is going to require a teacher to do some serious work with you. Find one, find one now.

10. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Gxman,

Tine Thing Helseth and Alison Balsom provide wonderful examples of good embouchures IMHO. It is very easy to find good youtube videos of their performances with camera work showing their embouchures as they play. Play in front of a mirror and note the differences between what you are doing and what they are doing. This may help you develop a concept of where you need to be going with your embouchure. You will also hear some fantastic trumpet performances, which will be useful for you as well.

Jim