Correct Embouchure?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Dec 25, 2013.

1. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I had some of the same issues a few years ago when I picked up the trumpet after a 25yr hiatus. The problem wasn't my embouchure it was a lack of practice. My warm up would wear me out!!! My suggestion would be a regimen of long tones. In have logged countless hours on my hose trumpet doing long tones. When I concentrated on what I was doing while playing long tones (talking @ your embouchure), I figured out what worked and what didn't. I subscribe to the "rubber face embouchure" method (Dale Clevenger). Too many variables with an individual IMO to pigeon - hole into just a handful of "proper" methods. Also don't subscribe to the 5 year plan to see if it works pedagogical mindset. To some that's heresy but I figure YOLO!!!!! It has worked well for me these last 8 years! Now go do the right thing (longtones)!

2. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
  3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I Wish----- I wish!!!

Regards, Stuart.

4. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The one time a played natural trumpet in a solo concert I totally messed up one phrase. It sounded real bad. I mean like a person trying out a bugle for the first time. Yeah, it was bad. The review was that "too bad he wanted to show he can play natural trumpet," even though the rest was complimentary. My chops don't move much when playing (hardly at all) but not like Immer. And not on natural trumpet. Nope.

5. Gxman

Gxman Piano User

Jan 21, 2010
    Hi, my sound i would say sounds fine done the way im doing it. Thing is my mouth (front of it) gets sore, on the inside because of tightening it so much. I dont close my lips, i leave them open for air to pass through, so i dont bite down in that sense, i just tighten the top up enough that with mouthpiece on mouth my gums get sore. If i play from low to middle C i can play indefinite. More than n hour. Even when mouth is dead I drop back to middle C and lower and i can continue playing. Its the higher notes that end it in 5 min.

Breathing is another weird one. I had a teacher trying to explain once before but dunno. Theres 2 ways i find i can do it. Breath in like that video recommended, open mouth and take a deep quick breath, feels like it goes down into the stomache and you feel the sides under ribs muscle etc all do something. The breathing out part though.... i can can push air out and keep the stomach out (like in breath in section) or, i can like when at gym doing bench press, the stomache is more in feeling (tucked in a bit) with muscles still tight while pushing out. Like going TSSSSSS as you push barbell up. You dont hold stomache out like a balloon during that phase...

so which is the right her3....

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    LONGTONES will fix breathing problems unless there is a physical problem. You can't go wrong with longtones you can only go wrong by not doing longtones. Diagnosis is difficult at best in a forum. There aren't as many breathing techniques as embouchures but what I do may not work for another and vice oversaw. Do it for a month and you will see good results.

7. Vulgano Brother

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Gxman, the stomach goes in while playing and as far as holding your lips apart, that is not a good idea. The lips should be loosely together, as in preparation to say "puh." The air should blow the lips into correct shape for the note.

8. Harky

Harky Pianissimo User

Feb 22, 2013
    Lancaster, PA
    Listen to Vulgano Brother, Barliman and Comeback. Each and a few more on this forum are some of the wisest people when it comes to trumpet playing. There are so, so many components to playing this instrument that the most wise will not venture a "one step fix." I will second the recommendation to check out the common sense approach of Greg Spence. Check out his free videos especially the embouchure. The challenge is that all of the essential components of good playing (making a good, solid sound) when not in place manifest themselves in the feeling that the problem is in the embouchure which may or may not be the problem, it just feels like that is where the problem lies. that's where you feel it. Poor breath support makes the chops tired, interruptions to the air column from the bottom of your lungs to your aperture will make your chops tired, poor phrasing makes the chops tired, tension makes the chops tired, excess MPC pressure makes the chops tired; on and on it goes.

Get a trumpet teacher, a good one, to check you out. Good luck, you will be fine when all the basics are in place.

9. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
  10. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    The videos are all excellent. Look at them for basic mechanics. Then, do no think about it anymore. If you try to play with a picture in your head of what you are supposed to be doing, it will interfere with what you will naturally want to do. Play until things you can make a nice sound. I like the idea of doing longs tones advised earlier. They will tend to force things into place as your body will naturally do what it needs to do to accomplish them. Play comfortable long tones to make a nice sounding note. Gradually work up in range. If long tones start getting easier to play, you are on the right track. If you feel like you are fighting the horn, then you "may" be doing something wrong.

BB