Correct Embouchure?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Gxman, Dec 25, 2013.

1. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I like to watch them both. They both look completely relaxed, play effortlessly, and look a lot better on camera than Louis Armstrong. Tine Ting's gonna be playing Bass Hall in downtown Ft. Worth in May. Barring some unforeseen cataclysmic event, I shall undoubtedly be present.

2. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I think they're almost too relaxed and do not give much for one to emulate because not much is visible! Good embouchures I've seen (in my humble opinion) include Hakan Hardenberger, Maurice Andre, Doc Severinsen. The problem, however, is that one can only learn so much from watching another person's embouchure. Trying to imitate the shape they're making could lead another to produce, in fact, the wrong shape for his/her own unique lip/muscle/jaw conformation. It must be guided by sound first and foremost, then it becomes a truly internal pursuit. Once we start identifying that complex somato-sensory picture of the shape that gives the right sound, it must be progressively refined and developed to reach that minimum effort/instant recall quality. Some have a natural advantage, producing that right shape comes to them more easily. For the rest of us, it is a multi-year labor, kinda like internal neuromuscular remodeling.

For me, the most useful description in words so far to help producing the right shape remains that of Greg Spence (Mystery to Mastery). I highly recommend his vids. There is also a case to be made for not overthinking this too much and letting the sound and the music guide us.