Correct Enbrochure Photos

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by felix c, Jan 26, 2004.

1. TangneyK

TangneyK Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Phoenix, AZ
    Amen trpguyy...

--Kevin

P.S. Correct embouchure photos? No such thing.

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I disagree with the premise that there is no "correct" embouchure.
    The most important factors are in fact identical. This does not mean that other things do not work, but there are several facets that apply to everybody!
    1) get your breathing straight first - inhale and immediately exhale without holding the air in. The throat should stay relaxed throughout this procedure. Replace "exhale" with play. Start with no tonguing! see the other posts on this.
    2) the optimal embouchure does not "stretch" the lip tissue, but compresses it more like the position of the letter "M"(with the corners "tight")
    3) the proportions of top to bottom lip in the mouthpiece is not critical, the red part of the lips should be in the cup however.

If you are this far, the embouchure is probably not your problem. There are so many other things that can get in your way. Only a good teacher can really get you holistically pointed in the right way. That doesn't mean that you shouldn't get started today!

3. dlewis

dlewis Piano User

Nov 22, 2006
    RANDALLSTOWN MARYLAND
    I agree with your teacher.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I believe there is a book called "Chops," which used to be (maybe still is) available through Charles Collins, with hundreds of photographs of pro players, most of which were taken at the New York Brass Conferences. Out of all these super players, maybe less than 1% have "picture perfect" chops, but all of them can play!

5. LFRoberts5

LFRoberts5 Pianissimo User

Nov 1, 2003
    St. Louis
  6. Liad Bar-EL

Liad Bar-EL Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Jerusalem, Israel
  7. B15M

B15M Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Monroe Ct.
    this thread is two years old.

8. Manny Laureano

Manny Laureano Utimate User

Sep 29, 2004
    USA
    :D

Nice catch, Joe!

ML

9. stchasking

stchasking Forte User

Jun 11, 2006
    Letter "M"

I agree on using the letter "m" as a guide to correct embouchure. Lock the corners and make an "M". I improved tremendously ounce I was taught this configuration.

I also like the idea of using the word "contraction" to describe what goes on inside the mouth piece. "Contraction toward the center, under the nose."

I would ask the person if he/she has a trumpet players lip. Is your lip straight across from corner to corner?

I do not have a trumpet players lip. I have what a surgeon called a cupids bow. It is hereditary and amounts to a tip of red tissue at the center. It requires me to play to one side. This is not a good situation but it is better than playing in the woodwind section.

I received a real good lesson in 1990, 16 years out of high school, on embouchure formation. It took a human to teach and analyze, not a book.

Refer to: ITG Journal/ May 1992. "Further Experience with Rupture of the Orbicularis Oris in Trumpet Players". Jaime Planas, M.D. (Barcelona Spain)

10. FlugelFlyer

FlugelFlyer Piano User

Dec 15, 2003
    Palos Park, IL
    If it sounds good and doesn't kill you before the night is over, it looks good as far as I'm concerned.