Correlation between physical health and chops?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Skelingtin, Dec 17, 2013.

1. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    So you lapped her? Some kind of a lap dance going on on the track then?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    VB if this is true, you too take Dr. Mark's advice and put a rain coat on that soldier, even though it my be a private first class.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Seriously... The gym and chops connection. I agree it is not a direct lip muscle improvement, but rather chest muscle toning and better breathing. Breathing is the key to all trumpet output, sound, endurance, range, and yes, even keeping up with those said flute players.

Which reminds me, must be signing off now, as I have a most adorable flute player to catch up with. Attention!!! Hut!

4. Skelingtin

Skelingtin New Friend

Feb 5, 2013
    I think you were right. When I got home the day I posted originally my sinuses suddenly clogged to the point I could only breath with my mouth. So perhaps it did simply warn me of something coming up. But my bad playing started about 2 days before I even actually felt anything from the cold.
    Either way, I took some sinus pills, and I'm already getting back to normal.

5. Comeback

Comeback Forte User

Jun 22, 2011
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I agree that a good level of physical fitness can augment trumpet playing for some of the reasons stated in prior posts. Aerobic fitness, particularly, can be of great value. As we age, exercises that keep arms and shoulders flexible and strong can be of value too; sports coaching and construction work have taken a toll on mine. Nowadays, I find that some of my instruments are more comfortable to play than others for what might appear to be minor ergonomic differences, such as weight, or the distance from the valve block to my face. If our young OP develops a good level of fitness today and maintains it across his playing career, my life experience suggests that his efforts will serve him well.
    Jim

6. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I'm a bit of a gym rat, and was so way before I picked up the trumpet again last year.

Sometimes life gets in the way, and I miss a few days or a week, especially around the holidays.

As long as I maintain conditioning, breathing is a bit easier. When I work on strength training, the horn feels lighter. Both of those things are very minor, and I don't think there's much more correlation than that, except what others have mentioned - it's just plain easier to go about life when you're in shape.

I do tend to think good sleep habits and hydration do more for the chops than anything else. Just like your pecs and abs, they need to recover.

I'm a heavy coffee drinker, but about 9 months ago I cut back on the coffee and quadrupled the amount of water I drink. That's done tremendous things for my energy levels, metabolism, and recovery time. Your body is much more efficient when properly hydrated.

My 2 cents.

7. edfitzvb

edfitzvb Forte User

Jun 10, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    Not to mention that trumpet playing starts in the mind. Any doubts about the outcome manifest themselves in the outcome. Just feeling better about yourself because you took the time for your health translates into a positive self-image for the day. Confidence is the great facilitator.

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    IDK, I work outside all the time so the only thing that affects my playing is not playing. Nothing wrong with being in shape!

9. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    But watch out, as many kinds of sinus medication will have side effects which can interfere with playing. Make sure you drink a LOT of water, as dehydration is one of those side effects.

10. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    I have hit higher notes slouching on the couch than I ever have playing 'properly' with 'proper' posture - so agreed with the 'pseudoscience' stuff!