Correlation between physical health and chops?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Skelingtin, Dec 17, 2013.

1. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It may not be the case for everyone, but for me there has always been a very strong correlation between my physicality and what's going on with the horn. Trumpet, at least for the gigging I do, is a very physical instrument. I've always believed that if you are doing it right, then your whole body gets into the mix - particularly the muscles of your legs and back. Lung capacity and your ability to process the air you breathe is also part of it. All of those things are improved if you are working out regularly.

Something else that I believe working out helps where the horn is concerned is your stress level. The more stressed and tense you are, the more difficult it is to play - there is thread after thread, and post after post where we talk about the evils of too much tension in your playing. Working out is a great stress relief and relieves all kinds of muscle tension, so the less physically stressed you are, and the looser and more relaxed you are, the better your body is going to deal with the physical aspects of playing the horn.

These are things I've picked up on over the years because I have at times been a real gym rat, and at other times I'm not working out hardly at all, and I've definitely noticed a correlation that regular exercise makes my playing easier.

2. J. Jericho

J. Jericho Fortissimo User

Mar 16, 2011
    "I heartily recommend exercises such as boxers use, roadwork and all, to help develop your wind" - Claude Gordon

It is my understanding that proper exercise improves the body's ability to manage air. The more efficient the body is at it, the less air required to maintain the body, and the more air left in the lungs to enable us to play longer, and of course if whatever musculature that is involved in playing is in good shape, the more ease of control one has over that air. I don't recall the exact cellular processes involved.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What if I just wear boxers? That's more doable, and it could help in making it easier to expell wind... not sure if Claude would approve though.

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    It's best to not wear Holiday Inn underwear - that's for sure.

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    OK, but is it OK to spend a holiday in your underwear?

6. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    I guess that depends on whether or not you have any gigs. :D

7. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    With better physical conditioning comes better breath control.

Cut back on the conditioning and you will usually downgrade your breath support.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The only boxer I knew that did this was my maternal uncle who retired as Lt. Commander of the WV State Police. Too, at one time he amazed me with jump roping, also a great cardio workout. Well, at age 72 he died while running to chase after his dog that had got loose. The dog came home and they found my uncle the next day fortunately. He wasn't a pro-boxer, but a U.S. Olympic contender in the heavyweight division until he had his jaw broken in a match, although he won the match with a KO. For my 10th birthday he bought me a pair of boxing gloves, but by the time I was in the ring myself, they were too small.