Cotton Mouth

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Adam Smith, Dec 11, 2007.

1. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    I just went through my third college jury Yesterday. During every one of them I have gotten cotton mouth. The first time was my fault, I didn't drink any water. But these last 2 times I started drinking only water days in advance. I start out fine but when I near the end, I develop terrible cotton mouth. Is this just because I am nervous and swallow a lot? Any tips on how to stop this would be greatly appreciated.

2. Lezwoymn

Lezwoymn Pianissimo User

Oct 11, 2007
    Long Island, NY USA
    It is probably because you are nervous. I get that sometimes also when I'm recording a song, but, I'm no expert, so any other advice from others would be helpful.

3. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    Keep a little bit of gum in the side of your mouth.

4. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Advice from cotton [email protected] : "Here's some good advice: bite your tongue! Biting the end of your tongue will give your saliva glands the impression you're about to start eating, and they'll supply you with a small but sufficient amount of saliva. Just be careful and don't lose this tip (or your own!)"

Some trumpeters will put a little lemon juice between their thumbs and index fingers--even when dry, licking the treated spot can often cause salivation.

You might even try the Pavlov trick--imagine your favorite mouth-watering food right before playing. If hamburgers or steak does the trick for you, just be careful not to play like a meathead!

Good luck!

5. Blazing Asian

Blazing Asian Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2006
    Can someone explain what cotton mouth is please?

6. bilboinsa

bilboinsa Piano User

Jan 24, 2006
    San Antonio, TX
    A very dry mouth.

Adam:
    I was going to suggest taking some lemon water with you instead of just water. Just wash your horn out more often (acid). But I really like the tongue biting idea. If you just act like you are chewing your tongue--or the insides of your cheeks, you will produce saliva. Nice 'n easy, though; You don't want blood coming out of the spit valve...

Last edited: Dec 11, 2007
  7. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    haha... thanks, I don't know why i didn't think about biting my tongue. I had heard about the lemon juice but totally forgot. I will give these a try. It will be awhile since the next jury is not until may. Maybe I will do a solo on convocation to test some of these out!

Thanks!

8. pbk917

pbk917 New Friend

Oct 11, 2007
    York, PA
    Ed Treutel (fmr. Professor at Julliard) taught me this trick and it does work for me. With your mouth closed take the tip of your tongue and rub it along the top (high), sides and bottom (low) of your inner lip in front of your teeth (left to right or right to left, it does not matter). Do this rather quickly and within a few moments you will start producing saliva. I hope that I have described this well enough to understand.

Good luck!

9. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    All of these suggestions will work on the spot in a pinch... but none of them are going to help you fix the real issue. You are getting nervous while you play. They only way to fix that is through concentration and lots of public playing. I would suggest that you seize every opportunity that you can to play in public and even set up some pseudo jury situations to help you practice.... In any case, good luck!

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    et_mike,
    developing a plan B is one of the most important lessons that life has to offer. The confidence that you can tackle the unknown does more to ease the savaged soul than any hind site. Proper preparation may never be enough, that is why we have survival courses in many different disciplines!