Couesnon flugel 'from 60s' on ebay

Discussion in 'Horns' started by JackD, Jun 1, 2004.

1. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
  2. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    That's the model 2155 Couesnon from the '60s, just like the one I bought brand new in 1973 after a very long, 3-state search for the best flugle I could find.

This Couesnon was the one with the 2-piece bell and was cheaper than the Couesnon Monopole (one-piece bell) . . . PLUS . . . it was better sounding and playing than a Monopole!

Back in the 60's discerning players seemed to always gravitate to the 2155 model over other flugles for jazz. It had the right "sound" and blow . . . and was called the "King of the Fluglehorns." Frankly, I was always surprised if a fine trumpeter did NOT play a Queenie! They were, and are, that good.

Today, as then, it also gives you the best bang for the buck! The Queenie was only $250 back in '73, the lowest priced serious fluglehorn around . . . (although my new Buick Century of that year listed at less than 5K fully loaded)!

THE DOWNSIDE . . .

Couesnons usually were poorly lacquered and sometimes the fit and finish was not world class but, when you played a GOOD one the rest didn't matter. Surely the working pro who owned that Queenie that's featured on e-bay knew a good one too! That horn is in good shape for its age and surely will fetch MUCH more than it's opening bid!!!

Snipers beware . . . if you plan on "stealing" that Queenie with a last 10-second bid ya better bid high enough not to get disappointed, for that flugle has the REAL fluglehorn sound that many have failed to duplicate and real players know it!

The only flugle that's bested my '73 Queenie in play tests is the new Wild Thing flugle . . . and its a ton more money!

Hope this helps!

Tom Turner

3. JackD

JackD Mezzo Forte User

Nov 30, 2003
    Manchester / London
    Interesting, Tom!

If I had the spare cash, I'd go for it. Damn college fees.

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    I have the same problem with college fees and I graduated 20 years ago. Darn student loans. :roll:

Jim