Couesnon Flugelhorn for trade

Discussion in 'Jazz / Commercial' started by Jazzman, Jan 31, 2004.

1. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    Looking to trade my MINT condition Couesnon (1970) with original case and mouthpiece for a Bb trumpet in similiar mint condition. This is an awesome flugel for jazz and it plays very well in tune. This Couesnon is Mint and the case is as well. Email me for photos and what you have to trade. I am interested in Calicchio, Bach or Schilke......
    Thanks.

2. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    You'll be sorry :)

I had the chance this Christmas to play one of those great old flugs. My Boeing bud used it for the stage band...and we traded back and forth during the performance. I was playing my old Callet Jazz and I tried to work a deal.
    Jim thought he had died and gone to heaven....as he really loved my old Jazzhorn...and for a few days I thought we might trade straight across....in fact, Jim played my Callet for a couple of his Christmas church solo church performances, however a few days after the holidays...he returned it to me and his wife reminded him that this flug was a gift....a few years before and that would mean that he would be in the market again for another flug and as his CFO...their buget would not allow for another new brass toy again, even though he fell in love with my old battleaxe Jazz horn.
    He has a really beautiful old Bach #37 ML. that has a good feel...except that it seems to blow really tight in the upper register, in comparison.

Jim has a solid upper register...and that old Jazz compliments him and gives him considerable more "paint-peeling-powaaa!" :shock: :shock:

Hang with that beautiful old flug. DON'T LET IT GO SO EASILY...
    It will be soooooo hard to replace.
    I loved Jim's flug. Its voicing was soooooooo dense and buttery without a sign of "stuffiness!" I was impressed at just how softly and easy this horn was....it just made ya feeeeeeeeeeeel good and sound even betta?

3. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    Good SOUND advice!! I am looking to trade, because awhile back I went on Couesnon binge and bought 4 of them. All four are great players, but this one is in the best shape. It is the same model (N) that Tom Harrell plays, as well. It is a beauty and man, talk about tone......The horn, valves, compression, slides are all mint. The case and mouthpiece are original as well......I have never played a Callet Jazz before, I have heard that they are great. I am looking for a second Bb that is "solid back-up" to my Wild Thing. 8)

4. BADBOY-DON

BADBOY-DON Piano User

Jan 23, 2004
    Gig Harbor Wa.
    Back up horn for your WT?

:roll: (back-up for your WT? Another WILD THING???? :?:

Make me such a deal that I can't refuse???.....on one of your "road-rage Flugs?" I could care less how that old C looks, if it begins to sound as sweet as the one I had the pleasure to play this last Christmas?

Speaking of Tom Harrell. What a beautiful sound, huh?
    Wonder if these links will fly?

www.ejn.it/mus/harrell.htm

www.tomharrellmusic.com

(I encourage anyone who admires Tom's amazing talent and his courage...take a moment and send him your best wishes...on his e mail address given on his website;
    He has never responded to my encouragement, but personally, but we know by the response that I have received from his family....it would appear that they read everyone.

5. Jazzman

Jazzman Pianissimo User

Dec 16, 2003
    Tom Harrell is a beautiful human being. He has triumphed over a hurdle that nobody should have to face. I am a dedicated fan and have many times emailed him thru his website. I think that you are right, he does read every email. Have you heard Tom Harrell on Philip Catherines "Moods" Vol.I and Vol II? Oh my........... :shock:
    Yeah, all of my flugels play like a dream. This one in particular is not onlly an awesome player, but a time capsule as well. To look at it, it is hard to believe that it is from the late 60's. To play it is a whole other ballgame. I took my Couesnon flugels to a big band rehearsal and we all played them in the section toghether, to see what the blend and pitch was like. We could not believe the results. It took a few moments for everyone to settle in on them, but once they did, the tone and pitch was unreal. Almost without dropping a beat, the t-bone section turned and looked to see what was going on. They commented that this was the first time that we all played in tune together when we played flugels! Couesnon seems to lock in and since they are heavy wall horns, there is not a whole lot of play......
    Anyway, Badboy- if you are interested in trading a Bb for this baby, let me know and I will be happy to email some photos. Seems crazy to have another great Bb, but I would prefer another Bb and would be great for a player to benefit from one of these fine flugelhorns. 8)

6. wil

wil New Friend

Jul 11, 2012
    My Vintage Couesnon Flugelhorn
    made in 1928 ,for sale.

Wil

mail me : [email protected]

Last edited: Oct 15, 2012