Couesnon Flugelhorn Question.

Discussion in 'Horns' started by acarcido, Dec 17, 2012.

1. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I have never been into playing flugelhorns, but recently have the opportunitty to get one in very good condition. The serial number on it 77XXX and I have no idea what they are worth or anything regarding any Couesnon instruments. I was going to sell it for a friend, but another Flugel player told me to buy it. Any ideas regarding quality and playability. Here is a link to the horn in question here:

acarcido's Album: Couesnon Paris Flugelhorn

Thanks in advance for your input.

2. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    i think you'll get lots of peeps telling you how good they are.
    If you want to play one, you ought to keep it.

3. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I did play this one for a little bit but like I mentioned before, my experience on them in minimal.

4. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    They sound wonderful but sometimes playing it is an intonation nightmare. If I were you, I'd put a trigger on it. Is that the one from TH?

5. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Yes, you can still buy it. I was considering buying it.

6. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I just thought it seemed a little much, but I'm not sure of Counesnon prices. I picked up that Olds though which is supposedly similar.

7. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I'm not sure about the Couesnon's either. Seems their history was wiped out.

8. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I own and play a Couesnon flugelhorn--and have owned others. After years with other flugelhorns I went back to Couesnon and have never regretted it. Typically intonation isn't as bad as is sometimes claimed and can mostly be alleviated by simply pulling out the 3rd valve slide a quarter of an inch or so then "lipping" notes into pitch. Build quality was always an issue with Couesnon so you may have a few repairs along the way, but it's not going to fall apart in your hands. Valves are also a traditional Couesnon issue--they need to be cleaned and oiled regularly and will look ugly, but they typically work. As a small born horn it needs to be played with finesse and delicacy with a very deep funnel cup mouthpiece (french shank) but you can't beat the sound. You can't play it like a trumpet. If you're looking for a flugelhorn you can play loud and in the upper range look somewhere else. I think the horn you're looking at is a little expensive, but really nice ones do go in that range. Personally I would offer about $400 less than the asking price and see what you can negotiate.

9. X3Lb

X3Lb Pianissimo User

Aug 15, 2010
    Shrewsbury UK & Lanzarote
    Hi +1

I play mine as my main flugel and it "sings" on solo passages.. I frequently get longing looks from players on Yammie 631 when it comes to tonal colour. As amzi says, it is a horn that you have to "play" and hear the pitch, that said ,you soon get used to it . Just at the moment I am optimising mouthpiece choice, but it is very tolerant to many mpc choices.

I have found nothing yet I would change it for.:D