Could I have red rot on my horn?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by busnutmedic, Feb 20, 2004.

1. busnutmedic

busnutmedic New Friend

Jan 1, 2004
    massachusetts
    I have a fairly new Besson International, I bought it used, so I'm not sure exactly how old it is. Soon after I bought it, I noticed bubbles in the finish all the way down the leadpipe, and in the tuning slide that goes to the leadpipe. Could this possibly be red rot in such a new horn (I'm guessing 5-10 years old)? Could it possibly be just a finish problem, and is it usually characteristic of Internationals? It hasn't effected the way the horn plays, but I'm just wondering. It SEEMED to appear all at once, but I'm not entirely sure, it could be that I just didn't notice it at first.
    Bonnie

2. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Hello Bonnie

I just need a few more facts

Is the material a different colour from the rest of the brass around it under these particular lacquer bubbles? ie: reddish or pink in colour.

Also when you say it appeared all at once! over what period of time are we talking here? because that does make a big difference.
    How long have you had the horn?

Have you cleaned the horn with something different from what you might usually use?

Regards

Leigh

3. busnutmedic

busnutmedic New Friend

Jan 1, 2004
    massachusetts
    Hello :)

It's a silver horn, so I can't tell if there is discoloration. I've had the horn at least a year, and to my knowledge it has been like that the whole time. Didn't notice it before last summer.

Bonnie

4. JACKKANSTUL

JACKKANSTUL Pianissimo User

You should send it to my father at the factory and have him look at it. This could be due to the player having very acidic condition which will eat right through the metal. I remember a player sending a horn to the factory that was like what you describe. They had to put a new leadpipe on the horn. This is why buying a used horn is always a gamble as you don't know how the horn was or wasn't taken care of. Young kids generally have more acids in their system as they are going through puberty. And of course they don't always take very good care of their instrument.

Jack Kanstul

5. busnutmedic

busnutmedic New Friend

Jan 1, 2004
    massachusetts
    Could you give me an estimate of what that would cost (new leadpipe)? I'm not looking for an exact quote, just a general idea.

Bonnie